SOLD Yamaha TRB-6P early 90's

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Thundercling, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Thundercling

Thundercling

Jun 23, 2018
    Santa Fe, NM
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    IMG-4870.jpg
    Hi Talkbass,
    I have this beautiful 6 string Yamaha TRB-6P that I don't play so someone else should. I've owned it for 12 years, and it's mostly been in a case or hanging on a wall. These basses have quite the following and they sound and play incredible. I am asking $2,200 or best offer. But I'm flexible, if you are interested please send me a DM with an offer. Maybe open to trades for something cheaper and some cash?

Here are the details:
    Flame maple top
    Ebony, mahogany and Rosewood Neck
    24 fret - 34" scale neck
    Neck through Body
    dual truss rods
    Roughly 11 lbs.
    Piezo Pick-ups in the bridge saddles.
    Controls are master volume and tone on the lowest row, then piezo volume and tone above. The switches are pickup selector, and a piezo on an off.
    I bought this bass with the original pickups already swapped out. Some kind of custom jazz pickups are installed, pretty sure they are hand wound. This bass also has a piezo in the bridge. Everything sounds great and as it should. Particularly, the neck pickup sounds huge and the piezo sounds woody and acoustic. The bass plays excellent, neck is true (super strong with that double truss rod), but it needs new strings.

Comes with hard shell case that is in ok shape, but the buckles are a bit old and sensitive. Also comes with one of the two original pickups. I believe the other was deconstructed to get measurements for the replacement's custom set.

You can see from the pictures that the bass is in excellent condition. Only thing wrong is a minor cosmetic blemish in the finish in the headstock (see pic). There is all so a worn dot on the back of the neck that (I think) the previous owner created intentionally that indicates fret 5 (also see pic).

I believe the year is sometime between 1992-1995. Serial number is 2005082, that serial number code seems to point to 1992 (see links below), but the guide states that 6 digit number code started in 1995. Then I found a image of this bass in a 1994 catalogue. So I'm not sure what to believe. I have listed some references at the bottom if you'd like to do your own research.

Thank you for reading. Please reach out if interested.

https://www.yamaha.com/yamahaguitars/ElectricandBassGuitarSerialNumberSystems.pdf

Yamaha 1994 Guitars and Basses Line Up '94 Catalogue - Vintage Japan Guitars

https://www.stillkickinmusic.com/blogs/still-kickin-blog/the-serial-bowl#yamaha

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  2. CryingBass

CryingBass Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Really nice. GLWTS

3. raal

raal Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Minneapolis / St Paul
    The mother of all production sixers.

4. B-Lo

B-Lo Bassist, Drummer, Sound Tech, part time Ninja... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    Awesome. What is the weight on this beauty?

5. Thundercling

Thundercling

Jun 23, 2018
    Santa Fe, NM
    My old bathroom scale says 11 lbs. This bass definitely makes you strong

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    B-Lo likes this.
  6. Gregc57

Gregc57 Supporting Member

May 28, 2021
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Sweet! Good luck. If I didn’t just buy a 5 here this week……

CryingBass likes this.
  7. fruitlabor

fruitlabor Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2007
    String spacing please

PaulYeah likes this.
  8. thewildest

thewildest Supporting Member

May 25, 2011
    Florida, USA
    It looks it has the original bridge so I am pretty sure its string spacing is 19mm.

9. Thundercling

Thundercling

Jun 23, 2018
    Santa Fe, NM
    Correct. 19 mm string spacing.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022