Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yba 200 owners...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by denton57, Dec 15, 2005.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Ok. I just got my new Ric 4003 :) I plugged it into my also new yba-200 and Avatar Neo 212. The result? Boomy bass that lacks deep powerful lows. Any kind of volume seems to add boominess in the midrange, and it doesn't seem to get very loud at all :meh: The cab is an 8 ohmer thats running by itself. Will another 8ohm cab help me and the amp? A 210 or a 115?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Boomy but lacking lows? When I have experienced boom, it was almost always because I had the lows up too much... What are your settings? Do you have any other amps to compare with?

3. Play with the Resonance and Range knobs, also is your scoop engaged? Lastly I would recommend new pre amp tubes, the sovteks are notoriously dark and muddy, new power tubes would be nice too depending on how much you are willing to spend.

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    There is a great thread around here somewhere (the search function = your daddy) on the results of swapping tubes in both the pre and power section of the YBA-200.

5. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    I have switched the preamp tubes out with 12at7 Mullards. I don't know, maybe it's just me... :eyebrow: I was thinking that adding a 15 with the 212 might increase volume and add thump to the Ric. I love the Ric, BTW.

6. Can't imagine how adding a 15 would reduce boom.

And how can there be boom without deep powerful lows?!?

Isn't the definition of boom deep powerful lows - i.e. sounds below 50 hz that are so low as to cause floor rumbling, etc.

7. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    No, you're thinking of "rumble."

"Boom" is from 60-150 hz.

8. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Sorry...Im thinking "boom" as boomy midrange sort of stuff. not clear and generally overbearing (for example, D string 7th fret (A) ). Meanwhile, the lows are just lacking... I know, this probably isnt making much sense, but...I'm wondering if its in the tubes. I hear the tingling glass sound sometimes, and one of the power tube's support thing rattles horribly when I hit the D on the A string. Maybe this head had a rough ride on the UPS truck or something. Maybe I'm just losing my mind searching for my dream tone. It could be the cabinet for all I know :help:

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    My experience with Avatar was similar. Perhaps you're blaming the wrong piece of equipment.

10. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Yeah, I didn't notice much of what you're describing when I ran it through my NV610.

11. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    If I only had another cabinet....

12. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Thx Corey. I have read on here that sealed cabs do sound better with tubes. I haven't and dont want to give up on the head. (I've only had it for a month- I bought it from you in Nov.! ;) ) What is a good sealed cab that would possibly match well with this head? Anyone?

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
  14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    +1, or a NV 215, or a NV 425 :smug: . Those would be my top choices. For a budget, I'd suggest Ear Candy, which is all online; so a google for em.

15. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Ok, so now im gassin over the nv610! Thanks :) Gotta pay off the new Ric first, however. For now, will plugging the ports on my cab help in small/medium sized rooms?

16. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...not to sound 'cliche here, but, with an all tube head, sealed cabs do the head/sound total justice...

ime & $0.02
    ~S~

17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You could try it, but the cab was designed to be ported and might not sound too good sealed.

18. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Ahhh! Cool! I didn't recognize you by your username. I think the others agree that sealed typically sounds better. I'm actually amazed at how many manufacturers make ported cabinets to go with their tube heads. Ported cabs are O.K. with tubes, but only untill the amp starts to clip. Just when the amp starts to sound good, the cabinet lets go!
    I prefer sealed cabinets with tube and solid state, and always have. That being said, maybe my favorite all time rig is the Berg mini stack with a solid state head. It's lightweight and powerful, and stands up to any assault a guitar player can throw at you!!!!
    My current love is a Musicman HD-150 and an NV-610! I've also got a YBA-200 that I use quite often as well.
    Corey

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My all tube head sounds killer through ported cabinets.... my preference has always been for ported cabs with solid state AND tubes, as well as 12" drivers. If a tube head has issues with ports, maybe it's just having trouble with dampening... some tube heads can be rather lacking in speaker control IME

but I know that one can sound good pushed through ported cabs...

maybe the stock tubes are ill?
    maybe you need to get a feel for the eq?

what kind of head did you run before?

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm not saying that tube heads CAN'T sound good with ported cabs, but my preference is like Coreys.....Tube head + sealed cab.