1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yes in Rock Hall - Nice Newsweek Article

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by silvertone, Jan 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    With Yes finally entering the Hall of Fame, we talk to guitarist Steve Howe

Vid at top of item is Yes at Bristol Hippodrome doing Starship Trouper with a dramatic Chris Squire Bass solo - but the item from Newsweek is really about Howe....

"When musician and producer Billy Sherwood took on the bass role after Chris died, he certainly had his work cut out for him.
    There hasn’t been another bass player in Yes except for a short time on the Union tour in 1991, when Tony Levin did some dates. Chris had a presence in the band that was undeniable. We loved Chris. When he wasn’t well, we discussed with him how we would do a tour that was coming up, so he agreed to deputize Billy Sherwood. We’re carrying on the tradition that he kind of endorsed in a way. It was very unusual, on the Toto tour, when we went onstage last year with Billy for the first time. Billy really stepped up to the game. Billy has so much love and respect for Chris; they were good friends, they played together on Conspiracy [the prog-rock band founded by Squire and Sherwood] projects. And Billy had actually been in Yes [as a guitarist]. So with [keyboardist] Geoff Downes coming back and Billy coming back, it kind of gave Yes a chance to do the “albums” tour [the band performed several LPs in their entirety and two sides of Tales From Topographic Oceans]. We like albums. Fundamentally, this is an album band. “Roundabout” and “Owner of a Lonely Heart” charted, but the group clearly and really designed itself around being an album band."

Yes was a cornerstone of my Rock n Roll life.
    I saw them yearly from '79 to '84 at MSG in the round and several times in the Bay Area in the 90's and 2000s... Amazing musicianship - trippy visuals and concepts.... Love this band.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  2. Interesting article.
    I didn't know Newsweek was still publishing after being sold for $1.00 in 2010