1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yet another "help me pick a cab" question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveL54, Aug 2, 2012.

1. SteveL54

SteveL54

Oct 4, 2010
    Connecticut
    Just got rid of my Ampeg 410HLF. My back just couldn't take it anymore. I'm using a GK 700RB II amp. I want to go totally GK. I play Classic Rock (ok.....covers) some punk stuff. Play 2x a month bars and small clubs 100 - 500 people. Occasionally outdoors. Fender Precision with flats and Squier 60's VM.

Choises: (all GK)
    212 neo II
    410 neo (4 ohm - no plans to add another cab)

212 MBE II
    410 MBE II

I want to stay all GK. And I'd really like to stay with only 1 cab.
    Thoughts?

2. Two 8 Ohm 212's would be my choice. One for small gigs, two for more.

3. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    +1.

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    The neo 212's allow for the horn management/bi-amp tweeter knob from your head to still function, the MBEs don't, if that matters to you.

5. BluesBass1

BluesBass1

Jul 12, 2012
    Gages Lake, IL
    You could get the Ampeg pn410....same sound or close and only 60lbs............ i got one and its great... wheel it out to the car...one easy lift and into the trunk.......they are expensive though, i got lucky and got one with a tiny blem and saved a lot of dough.

6. Bradass

Bradass

Oct 17, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    +1, but OP said he'd really like to stay with one cab...

OP, any particular reason? I have a GK 410 Neo and looking back, I probably should have saved a little more money and gotten 2 212s for the flexibility of sometimes using one, sometimes using both. Sorta regret that now. Something to consider.

7. If you look at the post I quoted, my response was before he added the one cab part.

To the OP

Go with an 8 Ohm cab. There will be no audible difference in volume, and you wont be able to add a second speaker when you do want more volume.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    HUGE +1 to buying an 8 ohm cab over a 4 ohm cab. The difference is negligible, but the downsides to the 4 ohm cab can be immense.

9. SteveL54

SteveL54

Oct 4, 2010
    Connecticut
    It's mostly a $$ thing. Like a lot of people here, I'm not a career player. Just every other weekend. It's difficult to justify that kind of cash for something I'm going to use every other weekend.

10. SteveL54

SteveL54

Oct 4, 2010
    Connecticut
    You are correct. After I posted, I realized that I left that bit of info out, and you had already posted. Sorry if this caused any confusion.