Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yngwie Malmsteen's Bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Mar 3, 2004.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    does anybody know what bassist recorded arpeggios from hell with malmsteen? also, does anybody know of a site that has the bass tab for it and did he play it with fingers or a pick? i couldn't tell from his tone.

2. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    http://www.yngwie.org/bandmates/pastband.html
    one of those guys? Sorry, I don't know which album it is.

I do know that on the last few albums, he played bass himself.

Interviewer: Why do you go through so many bandmates?
    Malmsteen: I can't fire myself.

That was in a guitarworld mag a few months ago. I found it rather amusing.

3. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    True. He plays bass on his last few, and may have done it then too. Arpreggios? It could happen. I don't know for sure though.

4. Hey, Derek Sherinian played keyboards for him.

I'll be danged.

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I know Randy Coven was with him recently.

If you like Malmsteen & similar prog metal, for arpeggios, go listen to Ron Royce of Coroner. Slightly heavier music & with all fingers + a GREAT player, pretty cool tone too...

~S~

6. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Word. Not to thread-jack, but what kind of bass was he playing on the Masked Jackal video? Pretty cool-looking, never seen another one like it.

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @Mitch,

Haven't seen that vid in a long time!

Not sure of the bass myself. There's not much about him anywhere. BP mag had a quick short thing about his talent awhile back(gotta dig into those 'ol boxes).

R.I.P.- Reborn Through Hate, killer!(remember, it's '87)
    For a 3 piece band, Coroner were intense...

~S~

PS: Gotta love the Beatles cover, "She's So Heavy" on "Mental Vortex". It KILLS Type-O's version...

8. hmmm, I can see how being in Malmsteen's band can be difficult- I've been playing with a guitarist who's a Malmsteen/Vai/Satriani fan, and I'm expected to double certain guitar riffs- including fast open-string pull-off phrases-
    it can be very annoying having someone nitpick over whether you're playing their riff right :mad:

9. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    I think arp. from hell was when randy coven was with him. Mick Cervino joined after that and now Rudy Sarzo has the job.

10. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Yngwie is playing next weekend here at a bar, I think I'm going to try and go see him, plus Rudy Sarzo is playing bass. Should be a good show.

11. I know Barry Sparks played with him for a while.

12. I saw yngwie and rudy last week. I posted a review of it earlier. I was totally impressed w/ Rudy's ability to do those fast apreggiated runs w/ his fingers, but he had a unique RT hand postion and fingering style which seems to make the task look easier. Unfortunately for Rudy, the double bass drummer yngwie is touring w/ sounds huge and pretty much swallowed up Rudy sounds for much of the show.
    frank