1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yngwie Malmsteen's Bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Mar 3, 2004.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    does anybody know what bassist recorded arpeggios from hell with malmsteen? also, does anybody know of a site that has the bass tab for it and did he play it with fingers or a pick? i couldn't tell from his tone.

2. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    http://www.yngwie.org/bandmates/pastband.html
    one of those guys? Sorry, I don't know which album it is.

I do know that on the last few albums, he played bass himself.

Interviewer: Why do you go through so many bandmates?
    Malmsteen: I can't fire myself.

That was in a guitarworld mag a few months ago. I found it rather amusing.

3. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    True. He plays bass on his last few, and may have done it then too. Arpreggios? It could happen. I don't know for sure though.

4. Hey, Derek Sherinian played keyboards for him.

I'll be danged.

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I know Randy Coven was with him recently.

If you like Malmsteen & similar prog metal, for arpeggios, go listen to Ron Royce of Coroner. Slightly heavier music & with all fingers + a GREAT player, pretty cool tone too...

~S~

6. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Word. Not to thread-jack, but what kind of bass was he playing on the Masked Jackal video? Pretty cool-looking, never seen another one like it.

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @Mitch,

Haven't seen that vid in a long time!

Not sure of the bass myself. There's not much about him anywhere. BP mag had a quick short thing about his talent awhile back(gotta dig into those 'ol boxes).

R.I.P.- Reborn Through Hate, killer!(remember, it's '87)
    For a 3 piece band, Coroner were intense...

~S~

PS: Gotta love the Beatles cover, "She's So Heavy" on "Mental Vortex". It KILLS Type-O's version...

8. hmmm, I can see how being in Malmsteen's band can be difficult- I've been playing with a guitarist who's a Malmsteen/Vai/Satriani fan, and I'm expected to double certain guitar riffs- including fast open-string pull-off phrases-
    it can be very annoying having someone nitpick over whether you're playing their riff right :mad:

9. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    I think arp. from hell was when randy coven was with him. Mick Cervino joined after that and now Rudy Sarzo has the job.

10. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Yngwie is playing next weekend here at a bar, I think I'm going to try and go see him, plus Rudy Sarzo is playing bass. Should be a good show.

11. I know Barry Sparks played with him for a while.

12. I saw yngwie and rudy last week. I posted a review of it earlier. I was totally impressed w/ Rudy's ability to do those fast apreggiated runs w/ his fingers, but he had a unique RT hand postion and fingering style which seems to make the task look easier. Unfortunately for Rudy, the double bass drummer yngwie is touring w/ sounds huge and pretty much swallowed up Rudy sounds for much of the show.
    frank