1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yo.. preamp question..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zink182, Apr 26, 2006.

1. these are the freq for my bass and I'm thinking doesn't anyone think they're a little strange..

Active Mode:
    Master Volume, Pickup Pan Pot, 3-Band Active EQ with:
    Treble Boost/Cut: +/- 14 db @ 2kHz to 18 kHz with a peak at 8kHz,
    Mid Boost/Cut: +/- 12 db @ 1kHz,
    Bass Boost/Cut: +/- 15 db @ 30 kHz,

Passive Mode:
    Master Volume, Pickup Pan Pot

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    thinking the 30KHz value for the bass is kinda odd (haha)

um, nope, nothing looks wrong... except maybe the treble doesnt shelve?

3. bump

4. I neeed an answer *cries*

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    There's nothing strange about it. Looks pretty standard for a 3 band active EQ. Every manufacturer has their own idea of where the frequencies should be and this will, of course, result in different sound. That mid frequency at 1K is a problem frequency that a lot of players like to cut a bit. When boosted it can sound harsh and unmusical.

Personally, when I use a bass with active EQ I usually set everything in the flat position. I get all the EQ changes I need on my amp and I don't like any radical EQ anyhow.That's just me, but the active EQ is nice for long cable runs and really good active preamps seem to make the sound just a little bit better and crisper.

I played with a Bongo which has the most flexible EQ you can find (well, at least what I have found) and I could get many wild and wonderful sounds-some of them even useable, but it sort of made the tone controls on the amp redundant.

If the EQ sounds good for you, then go for it.

That 30K for the bass frequency is a typo on your part you realize? Well, it's a typo on someone's part.

6. it's straight from fender.com

7. he means it should be 30Hz and not 30kHz.

i find both your bass and treble frequencies to be a little extreme, but nothing really out of the ordinary.

I like my bass freq a little higher around 60Hz and my treble freq a little lower around 4kHz to 7kHz. with a reasonably wide Q though, there shouldnt be anything wrong with the setup. Whats your question?

8. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Yes, they look very strange.

Why do you ask?

:D

Joe.

9. find the bass freq just pretty useless :/ and the treble makes a clickity click sound..