1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your advices on (my future) MTD non-US 6 strings pls :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IvanBass456, Nov 4, 2020.

1. IvanBass456

IvanBass456

Oct 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Hello guys,

Being new to the forum, I carefully read a couple of topics here and there before creating this one. I'm from Belgium, thus don't blame me for my English pls :)

Having played 4-str basses for 15 years now, I really consider buying a 6strings. I play a lot of (jazz) chords, harmonics, solo's and melodic stuffs when I play alone at home. So, this would be the purpose of buying a 6. When I'll consider playing again in a rock band or something like that after my evening studies are done, my current Sandberg TT4 California Act/Pass will perfectly fulfill the job!

So, now you know a bit of the context and my current bass and what I wish to play with a 6-strings, and here comes the budget question. Budget-wise, I'm ready to invest 1500-2000 euros in a 6. At this price, let's be clear, I won't be able to find any custom handmade model from a recognized manufacturer. Even on the second hand market.

I tried an Atelier-Z beta burner 6 at a local shop here in Belgium, but its 32" scale made the B- and even the E-string completely poor and lacking in volume and detail. That's unfortunate because all things considered apart of the 32" this bass was wonderfully handcrafted in Japan and had nice electronics and tone, for 2000 euros.

Since, I keep documenting me and binge-watching as much as possible in order to find the right 6st model. And I finally decided to opt for a MTD Kingston with good electronics. I love the tone of them, really. The playability looks nice from what I've read. And again, I can't afford a good 6str japan-, germany or us-made model.

Unfortunately I can't find any MTD Kingston Andrew Gouche 6, ZX or even KZ6 on the second hand market. I'm fine with buying a new one if it's 100% worth it.

But what do you suggest?

Should I buy a KZ6 for about 1100 euros and upgrade the pickups and electronics by a luthier? If so how much does it cost and where may I buy such electronics and pickups (Bartolini, Aguilar, ....) from my country, Belgium? And what electronics and pickups / preamps EQ do you suggest?

If not, is the Kingston Andrew Gouche 6 a good purchase? Apart of the Bartolini custom pickups and a different touch of wood, it remains the same Kingston bass as the other ones and the price is a little high (1900 euros) for a model made in China, in my opinion...

So any tips or experiences to share from your side guys?

Thank you! And see you in the MTD non-US club soon hopefully! XD

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021