1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your bass mentor!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by aviador, Mar 17, 2008.

1. aviador

aviador

Feb 9, 2008
    Who bass player would you like to have for a mentor?

2. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

This thread might be more appropriate for the Bassists forum. I'm not sure.

My answer: Tony Levin

Hearing him play the instrument is the reason that I needed to become a bass player. The more music I listen to and the more bassists I hear and enjoy, the more it comes back that the kind of player that I want to become is very much in the Levin vein: supportive, grooving, lyrical and melodic when needed, able to lean back and become the invisible bottom of the music or step up drive the whole song as the primary non-vocal melody.

To have him as a mentor in addition to an inspiration would be cool. :)

3. noone really,...

I would like to sit down with justin chancellor for a few months tho and get him to teach me how to be creative and how to get complex timing ingrained so you can play different timings to what guitar and drums are :)

4. Yeah that'd be good, I'd like him to come and try my OLP TL5 when it comes back from having a Villex pickup dropped in it, and see what he thinks.

I guess, if I could have a few lessons from someone, I'd probably pick Stuart Zender, and if he was busy Marcus Miller could fill in for him ;).

5. Ed Friedland!! His instructional books and bass reviews are top notch. :) If I lived closer to Texas, I would love to take some lessons from him :bassist:

6. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Agreed

7. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Tony Levin is a good call. Other than him, I'd say Watt.

8. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Stefan Lessard from Dave Matthews Band..

Hes not flashy or over the top but the boy can groove and lay down some sweet lines.

9. skaismyhero

skaismyhero

May 21, 2006
    Dayton Ohio
    larry graham lol

10. Marcus Miller, for bass mentoring. Someone equally proficient with a slew of techniques. Geddy Lee is far up that list, too, probably #2.

Vic Wooten, for life mentoring. I love Vic's playing, but his outlook on life (from what I've read) seems so grounded, so relaxed, I'm sure I could learn a lot from him.

11. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    oh sure... just rub it in! i have no money, alright?!?! that's why i'm not taking lessons! sheesh! are you happy?!? now you've made me cry! :bawl:

Ed... Ed, i pine for you!

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Stuart Hamm, definitely. He's the bassist I undoubtedly have learned the most from.

13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Dirk from Incubus.

14. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007
    geezer

15. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Ric Fierabracci (if you don't know this guy's phenomenal playing you are missing out)

or

Mitsuru Sutoh (A/K/A the Japanese Marcus Miller!)

16. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    The teacher I had a few years ago called J Gallop, one of the nicest people I've ever met and inspirational to my playing, sadly he passed away a couple of years ago, and I'm yet to find anyone who can get me to improve as much.

17. Sorry!! I thought Ed was the only person that lived in Austin :)

18. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Either Abe Laboriel, Sr. or John Patitucci

19. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Already had one. He wasn't actually a bassist though, played piano like a blues prodigy, taught me just about all the jazz technique and music theory I know. His name was Jason Peguero.

20. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I'm a huge Geddy fan, but if I were to get anyone to mentor me it would probably be someone like Lee Sklar. Maybe not as much for technical lessons, though he could definitely teach me a thing or twelve in that area, but for living as a professional bassist for so many years. He's played with everyone, been on countless sessions and tours, and all that experience would be so great to learn from. If not Lee, it would have to be someone with a similarly impressive resume, yet down to earth personality.

I would definitely like to have a beer with Geddy too, though.