1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your contemporaries

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by pedrodelawasp, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Hello Justin, hope you are enjoying your jaunt around the US with NIN and that you'll be winging your collective way to Europe sometime soon.

I was wondering which bass players around at the moment you like/ are in to/ appreciate/ etc. In particular I wondered if you were a fan of your namesake Justin Chancellor.

I've also just posted a thread on Gallien-Krueger heads and cabs. If you've any time I wonder if you could share your experience.

Cheers fella!

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    I don't know much about GK, but back in the diz-ay I had an 800RB that sounded awesome.

Justin Chancellor is amazing. Love his Wal sound. I like the guy from Death Cab, the guy from Raconteurs, Colin from Radiohead, the guy from Doves, Mike Elizondo, Jason Falkner, Cedric Lemoyne, Pete from BRMC, all kinds of other cats. The list goes on and on.

JMJ

3. Malpractice

Malpractice

Jul 15, 2007
    How do you feel about Trevor Dunn another great working bassist.

4. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Trevor Dunn BLOWS MY MIND. Particularly with Fantomas, for some reason. Those records utterly kill me.

What a master he is. In fact, I should probably play along with some of that stuff sometimes.

5. Dunn and Lombardo make one helluva rhythm section, and live with Terry Bozzio was pretty special. Fantomas have a way of making large crowds look very confused.

6. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Hey Justin,
    If you wanna hear some amazing stuff with Trevor, pick up John Zorn's "Moonchild". It's an awesome trio featuring Trevor, Joey Baron (Naked City) on drums, and Patton on vocals.

Awesome stuff!

7. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Oh yeah, I've got to get that record. And even more so, I need to see Trevor play live sometime.

8. walkinglines30

walkinglines30

Oct 30, 2003
    And we can't forget Chris Chaney And Juan Alderete! :)

9. Malpractice

Malpractice

Jul 15, 2007
    he doesnt even look like hes trying. He is that good. He was also very kind to me afterwards. Very nice guy. Gave me a lot of good advice.

10. undeadbass

undeadbass

Jun 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    I actually study with Trevor - unbelievably nice guy, great teacher, and yes, makes it look effortless!

11. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    I'd love to take a lesson from him.

JMJ

12. Malpractice

Malpractice

Jul 15, 2007

YOU LUCKY BASTARD!
    I would love ONE lesson with that guy.:bassist: