1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your favorite delay/looper? (poll)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jan 27, 2012.

1. Hardwire DL-8

6 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. TC Electronic FlashBack

20 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Akai E2 Head Rush

13 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. Other (please specify)

21 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

I'm just curious about this, since I had pretty clear that the delay/looper of my choice was the Hardwire DL-8, but after reading about TC Electronic's FlashBack and Akai E2 Head Rush, I'm not that sure. So I thought a poll would be a good help. If you are going to say "other", please notice that I'm not looking for separate delay and loop units. That's why I'm thinking of those three choices. Any comment on advantages/disadvantages of each pedal is welcome. Thank you for your input!

2. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    With the expression pedal, Line6 DL4/M9/M13.

Not the best for many reasons, but it's hard to beat the functionality of going from one preset to another with a rocked foot.

3. mwalle1

mwalle1

Apr 19, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I had the Akai and wanted to fall in love with it, but didn't care for the delay settings and the loop sound quality seemed skeptical, especially if you use the extended time switch. My combo pedal of choice was the EHX XO Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai. I need to get one again, limitless delay sounds can be made on that pedal and the looping was fine for simple short loop needs.

4. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    Boss DD-7 or EHX SMMH

5. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

+1

6. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Strymon Timeline is THE delay/looper.

Since its conception, all others shall no longer be referred to as actual delay/loopers but will be known as whatever percentage of a Strymon Timeline they are. For example, something with just an analog delay will be called "Timeline 5%". And something with analog delay, digital delay, and a looper will be called "Timeline 25%".

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

:eek: I've just seen the demo videos at YouTube. Absolutely impressive! The only thing that makes me think twice is $$$, but worth it for sure!

veryvery likes this.
  8. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Yeah, that price is UP THERE!!!! And the sad fact is that you need to pay another $150 to use the looper the way it should be used....(Midi Controller....and the demos of them).

So it's a HUGE price tag at $600 for the Timeline and the Midi controller. But it's the ultimate machine in delay/looping.

9. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    I don't understand why you say you need to get the midi controller to use the looper "the way it should be used"? I mean it seems they add some cool functionality to the looper, but it doesn't seem that it's absolutely necessary. I can understand the banking function, for sure, though.

10. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    I never felt comfortable using the looper AND switching through banks on the fly, mid song, without the midi controller. Granted, I'm still waiting on the midi to come in....but for example, if my band were going to do Lazy Eye by Silversun Pickups and I wanted to take over the keyboard/synth part in the breakdown of the song with the delay while having the bass part from earlier being looped in continuously to keep the bottom end kicking....I just think that would be beyond my skills of playing while doing some mad button mashing without the midi controller. With the midi, I see it being pretty simple. Again, that's all in my head since I'm still waiting on it.

11. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Gotcha, I was wondering if I had missed something with the Timeline, which would suck because I've been waiting a few weeks for it now:D

That Midi controller looks pretty sweet, I might have to add one of those to my wish list:scowl::D

12. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Yeah, I'm about 2-3 weeks away from the combo being here. They need WAY more bass demos of the Timeline. I might have to invest in a decent camera.

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

A question about the Akai E2 Head Rush and the EHX Stereo Memory Man w/Hazarai: Are they true bypass or not? Can't find a definitive answer.

14. peddles

peddles

Sep 5, 2011
    Palm Coast
    the dl4 is great for looping, but i use the dd-7/rv-3 for my delays

15. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I used a Subdecay Echobox as my delay for a long time and absolutely loved. I've also tried a TC Electonics Nova Delay and Nova Repeater and really dug both of them, but haven't tried the FlashBack yet. If you can spend the extra bread you should definitely consider the Nova pedals.

16. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

But none of them works as both delay and looper. Or am I mistaken?

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I like dedicated pedals for specific functions, so a Boss RC-20XL for looping, and a Boss DD-20 for digital delays, and MXR Carbon Copy for analog delays. The DD-20 will also do "sound on sound" loops, but I never use that function.

18. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I can't help with the SMM but I do believe the Head Rush is a buffered bypass. But don't fall into the trap of thinking that true bypass is always best. What you want is GOOD bypass, regardless of the actual mechanics of it.

Personally I will never again by a looper that has a single stomp switch - they simply don't work for me. The Akai is a very simple to use and effective looper. No learning curve and it just works. Plus it is highly underrated as a tap tempo delay. Its biggest drawback is the space it takes up.

That said, the Timeline is absolutely amazing. It's so far beyond overkill for what I use delay for that I shouldn't look twice at it but I can't help but want one.

I actually prefer the Akai's stomp setup for looping (2 stomps for play/stop and record/dub vs 3 stomps on the Strymon for record/dub, play and stop) but that's just personal preference and the looper is awesome as well.

19. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    Having owned a fair share of delays, loopers, and delays w/ loopers, I am currently loving my Empress Vintage Modified Superdelay. The looper could be longer (it's 12 secs, I believe), and the delays could trail off nicely when the bypass is hit (they don't), but the tone and flexibility of the pedal is great (for my needs). I also really dig the available user-set presets.

20. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Taking these statements into account, maybe the Timeline isn't actually that expensive since it performs the tasks of two pedals (more than) fairly well.