Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Site Setup

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by CitricGuy, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Well, I have a few questions for you Paul. :D

First of all what do you think of vBulletin? Is it the "Cream of the Crop" for online communities? I noticed you’ve changed boards a few times is why I ask.

Secondly, how much of what is available here is functionality built into vBulletin and what functions and services did you have to code or port in yourself?

Lastly, mailing lists. I noticed that vBulletin didn't really advertise any mailing list functionality and I was wondering how you do it! :D

I hope none of these questions are too intrusive but it could really help me out on a project of my own to pick your brain a bit.

Thanks for administrating the best damn bassist website on the internet and I’ll be back to post some more after I finish working! :hyper:

2. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    In my opinion, VBulletin is the cream of the crop. Most of the functionality you see is built into VBulletin, but I'm always tweaking/hacking behind the scenes - the ease of doing so is what makes VBulletin my forum of choice. You can find entire sites dedicated to 'hacking' or improving VBulletin, such as www.vbulletin.org

I use a 3rd party bulk emailer for the mailing list. There are many out there, some free, some not. The more expensive ones will have additional features like double-opt in/out, auto unsubscribe bounced emails, click tracking, etc.

If you'd like more specific info feel free to send me an email :)