1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your two cents... 800RB or SVT 4 pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TRyan5289, Jul 18, 2012.

1. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    Hello all! I've got a few things I'd like to talk about. First off, I'm a newcomer to the world of bass. I'm a guitar player turned bassist. I picked up the bass just over a year ago when my buddy (drummer) asked me to play bass for his band, and I was reluctant to grab that old $50 bass guitar out of the closet and string her up with new strings. I then picked up a GK Backline 600, and was able to find an old 215 cab. I put some new Eminence speakers in the cab, and I was ready to rock and roll. Now that I had a working amp, I picked up an SR505.

Here's where your come into play! :hyper:

So when I put together my cab, I bought speakers that are rated at 300W and 8 ohms, and ran parallel wiring, for a 300W 4 ohm load. This is now limiting my possibilities for a professional setup for an amp. I've been fancying the idea of a GK 800RB or an Ampeg SVT 4 pro. Both of these have ratings that will work with my current cab, and was wondering what you thought about the two amps. I'm sure some of you out there have been playing the 800RB longer than I've been on this planet, but, that's why I'm asking the experienced guys right? :help:

I've also been thinking about throwing a 210 cab on top of the 215.

My style is modern rock/psychedelic/metal. I like the throaty growl that comes from the GK, but also like Ampeg's sound as well.

2. The 210 is going to limit your system even more don't bother. Both those heads have fans and those that don't care for them. You will have to play through both to know which is for you. Just remember that there is a lot of power hidden in gain and eq on any amp.

3. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    The 800RB has a heat sync if I'm not mistaken, for that studio quality quietness.

4. Both amp heads will get the job done. By the way when you have two speakers you add the wattage handling. So your cab will handle 600 watts "thermal" and probably 300 watts "real" power input.
    I prefer the G-K sound but the Ampeg sounds really good also. The 800RB will let you add a 8 ohm 210 either in full range or in Biamp mode putting out 100 watts RMS to the cab. 300 and 100 watt amps are adjustable separately.
    The 4 PRO has dual power amps but you have to add a crossover to biamp. I don't know if you can adjust the power amp volumes separate or not?

5. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Yep it does. Crazy durable, simple and versatile.
    Good head, I dont know much about ampegs

6. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    Thank you for clarifying the wattage mistake I had.

So that means I can add a Peavey Headliner or a Mesa M-Pulse 600 to the mix? GREAT! Now I'll never find out what I want.

7. You can add any amp you desire to the mix :D. If the amp output is really high just watch how loud you play the cab. ;)

8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i've played through both amps.

i'd go with the GK.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    What model of eminence did you put in the 215? If they're anything decent for bass, that's enough cab by itself.

Yes, it's 4ohms and most any common bass amp will work fine with it.

I like my 800rb but I sure as hell wouldn't kick an Ampeg out of bed either. Both are versatile, but their sort of "default" tones are very different from each other.

They're also 2 completely different classes of amp. The 4pro being an absolute high power monster, the 800rb much smaller, although it's one of the loudest sounding 300 watts you'll ever hear and can hang on big stages.

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    800RB. Proven EVERYTHING.

11. jackcheez

jackcheez

Sep 13, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    800RB

...and if you have an 8 ohm 2 X 10 to try, throw it up there too and see how you like it.

An 800RB with a good 2 X 15 is plenty bass amp on it's own tho.

12. chicomalo

chicomalo

Jul 17, 2012
    Escondido, CA
    I've had a 4pro for 12 years and it has been reliable and sounds great, if you like the Ampeg sound. I have never owned or played through an 800RB but they have a great sound. The 4pro definitely has a lot more power.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've played through both, and I'm not just saying this because I'm an endorser (you cynical vultures!), but I greatly prefer the 4 Pro. The 800RB is a good amp but it doesn't have what I'm looking for. I'm sure it has what some people are looking for but not me. Gets a little too harsh on the attack for my tastes.

14. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Haven't tried these two amps, but I had a SVT-3PRO for a very short time. And I never played a gig without my 400RB since I got it. I would go for the GK.

15. Then get the GK 800RB and biamp - just make sure the 215 is 4 ohms and the 210 is 8 ohms (or try a 112 on top). ;)

16. Skygonzo

Skygonzo

Jul 8, 2012
    Neither. Do yourself a favor and try a MarkBass Little Mark 800.

17. +1

Play the amp that has the sound you want. For my I would take the 4 pro, bridge that sucker through a big cab and rock out. :bassist:

18. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I love my 800RB, but I could easily use a 4 pro and be happy as well.

Don't worry about the wattage and trying to match it to your cab. Just keep the volume in check and you'll be fine.

19. With the 800rb you could even try a 16 or 8 ohm 1x12 guitar cab on top in biamp mode to add a bit of grit.

20. musicianary

musicianary

Jun 23, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    If you're buying new, go to your local Guitar Center and see if they have the TTE series head from Markbass. WAY cheaper than the Ampeg, same price as the GK.

Above all else, though, you HAVE to get the one that sounds best to YOU.

Roll Tide Roll :)