1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Youtube's new rules coming soon

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    How do you figure this will effect music channels, guys who play covers or review gear. Some of the interactive channels like Stevie T or Davie504?

TortCult likes this.
  2. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    The "Lego community"? Oh brother. Anyway, I don't really care. There's too much clogging up YouTube (and the internet in general) as it is.

3. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Didn't watch past the first few seconds, as it didn't seem to have anything to do with music. Maybe you could provide some additional info that would help us understand how this might affect us?

4. SunByrne

SunByrne Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Two minutes in and literally nothing of relevance, though I did not know YouTube got fined what amounts to, for them, pocket change, for tracking kids. Google tracks everyone all the time to the extent they can, and once in a while they get a minor wrist slap for it. Nothing new there.

How this has anything whatsoever to do with music or bass or gear is completely opaque. If there's a point here it has to come a lot sooner.

5. I made it almost 4 minutes and saw nothing of relevance.

rollie 55 likes this.
  6. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    Try this one. Even music channels have to declare their content. My issues is I don't even know how. They don;t make it easy like a box to check when loading the video. I think that is by design.

7. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Declare what? I'm not watching a video unless you give me a reason. What are we declaring? That we don't own the content? That nothing is in the video that we don't own? What, exactly, is relevant to me here?

Aqualung60, Spidey2112 and Amano like this.
  8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Nobody's going to watch a 30 minute video.
    Why don't you summarize the issue?

getbent and Spidey2112 like this.
  9. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    So a act passed in the late 1990's that is to protect Children will be applied to creators over some law suite google lost. So you have to declare your videos as for kids or not for kids. But like I say it's not being made easy.

It looks like hundreds or thousands channels will go poof by the dead line. Also that youtube will give no clear guide lines on how to decide what way to declare. Something about if your video is not in compliance you could be fined by the FCC 400,000 dollars over much of nothing. To be totally safe you have to pull out of youtube or hire a lawyer to sort it out for you.

LBS-bass likes this.
  10. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Thanks. I'll look into it. I have a few videos online, they are not explicitly for kids but kids could watch them if they wanted. I feel like there is so much existing content on there already that they'd be rather foolish to just blanket all their content with a requirement that would expose users to that much risk. They'd best be prepared to lose most of their users if they start doing that.

11. So you put the Parental Advisory sticker like on albums on all your video thumbnails and all is good?
    Seemed to work for the music business.

6Bass101, Aqualung60 and Pizza1988 like this.
  12. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    YouTube was found to be leading children into videos that were decidedly not family friendly.

They are now putting the onus on creators. If your content is labeled incorrectly then you will be prosecuted and YT will be held harmless.

MattZilla and jfh2112 like this.
  13. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Prosecuted by whom, and under what conditions? I mean, I can't imagine my harmless music videos present some prosecutable offense. I do understand putting the onus on the creator, but wouldn't that be a proactive thing that would protect them in the event someone posts something kids shouldn't see?

Silevesq likes this.
  14. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    FTC not FCC.

MattZilla likes this.
  15. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I gather it would be the FTC, as they fined YT to begin with and they would levy the fines against creators.

MBP might be getting too enthusiastic about who will actually be affected.

I imagine a series of complaints would need to be lodged and the content somewhat egregious, which it was in the aforementioned YT case.

LBS-bass likes this.
  16. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    Looks like fines not jail time. Its looking more and more like its a catch all being put in place to direct against people the government does not like at any given time. Even if you declare the video not for children does not mean you are safe from the agency that can fine you.

andruca and stingray78 like this.
  17. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state

IamGroot likes this.
  18. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Veering into questionable territory. Conspiracies abound. I'll wait until they give me some grief before I worry about anything.

19. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    "This video contains content known to the state of YouTube to be harmful to children."

Problem solved. ;)

20. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Are you sure you are in WI and not CA?