1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zombies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bholder, Nov 16, 2018.

1. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
  2. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    So you must have also heard The Walking Dead & Company with John Mayer. They were on Fallon the other day. Appalling.

3. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Nope is that yet another Grateful Dead reheated leftovers band? Gotta love 'em, but...

4. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I was hoping this was an appreciation thread...

geof_, Nashrakh, bluesblaster and 2 others like this.
  5. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I’ll listen to Oteil any day!

6. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA

bholder likes this.
  7. rendevouz

rendevouz

Jan 8, 2013

Thick McRunfast and bholder like this.
  8. They definitely don't look more human than human (okay that's just a crappy White Zombie joke... I'll go home now).

Thick McRunfast likes this.
  9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Also the Tyrell company corporate motto - hmmm, are you implying they're Nexus 6 Replicants? Skin Jobs? ;)

ituobrey and TOOL460002 like this.
  10. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I looked on the Tonight Show website. They didn't have them listed. What day were they on?

11. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I can't find the one I saw. This one from two years ago is really very good. A fun mishmash of Mayer's singing, him playing more Garcia-esque style (he has the chops to pull off) and the band sounding Dead-like enough for familiarity, playing great for oldsters. Wish I could have heard this the first time.

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  12. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Cool.

If you're not a Dead fan, you probably don't care about this and will roll your eyes, but...

Bob Weir has been slowing the tempos down for the past 10 years or so. Phil Lesh has tried to build Phil and Phriends into the hardest jamming jamband with a rotating cast of the most fearsome musicians on the scene. Bob thinks the Dead's real legacy is their songbook of a lost Americana. So he wants to slow all the songs down to put the focus on the lyrics so he can emote and be a storyteller. (That's why he's been playing with bands like the National, Wilco, the Avett Brothers and My Morning Jacket). But the slower tempos drive the drummers crazy because they want to play with energy. So I think that's why they brought John Mayer in. He's a real groove/feel/rhythmic player and get concentrates on the feel at any temp. He kind of acts like the bass player sometimes with D&C. He groves and the rest of band layers themselves on top.

I know, I know... You're probably rolling your eyes about right now. Us deadheads are used to that when we start talking. ;)

Tom Bomb and saabfender like this.
  13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    :rolleyes:

14. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    No eye-rolling. I love seeing how into-it you guys are. I... just don't get it myself. I was 19 and saw the Dead in 1983 in SLC. There was a 20 minute drum duet with drums all over the place, tam-tams and a whole trailerload of things. I was so bored I almost left in the middle of it.

15. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Yeah, Drums/Space in the middle of the second set... that’s for the people on acid :laugh:

TOOL460002 and saabfender like this.

16. Yes. Yes it was.

:rolleyes:

Nice to see Charlie growing old gracefully.