1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zon neck question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nad, Feb 22, 2008.

1. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    No, not a query concerning what it is made of or what the finish is like. I'm asking about THE SHAPE. I recently got a Sonus 4 and after a month or so with it, it is currently The One, mostly because of the unbelievably comfortable neck profile.

It seems to be sort of a flat oval, but quite small. This is the first neck I've ever felt that rivals that of a Sterling, which has been my Holy Grail / Industry Standard / Perfectly Sized Boobs for many years now.

I'm currently experiencing less than legendary customer support from Zon, so while I may buy one brand new from a dealer that I trust to handle any difficulties that may arise, I'd like to know what other necks out there feel similar to this, if any. Other factors such as tone and price do not matter quite yet, I can work out those details later. 4-string only, I don't care about others right now.

Cheers, and yes of course I searched. :smug:

2. nad

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    Titles I should have used to gather the appropriate attention:

Sadowsky/Lull/Coppolo/Celinder basses cost too much money!
    Is Lakland better than Fender?
    Sterling v. StingRay
    OMG THIS GUY ON EBAY IS DUMB!!!
    Which should I get: P or J
    What is the difference between rosewood and maple?
    I spent $18 on a used SX, did I get hosed?
    LOOK AT THIS EBAY MORON!!!
    I bought a $10,000 bass, it makes my playing superior to yours.

3. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I own 2 Zons and although they`re fivers they have that "flat oval" neck profile you mention.
    I`m mainly a 4 strings guy and although I`ve owned almost 50 basses over the years, none of them have that same neck profile. My other 2 favs are from Fender Jazz (slimmer) and Peavey Cirrus (flatter)

4. nad

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    Awesome, thanks. That's what I need to know. I owe you a Coke. Perhaps I should try a 4-popper Cirrus some day, I love the high end Peavey basses that cost $40.91 used but have only played those of the 5 and 6 string variety.

This thread: complete success.

5. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Does anyone have a Sonus Classic? I've been checking one out, but don't have a way to check one out.

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Not sure if its useful, but my zon 6's neck is pretty skinny. I haven't felt anything like it before, or ever. In the 6 string world, i dont think wood necks can be built so slim.