1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom h2

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Sharkabilly, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Sharkabilly

Sharkabilly

Sep 26, 2007
    How would a zoom do with recording a jazz trio, do the symbols come through?

How is it for just bass.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The zoom is a great little unit. I use the Edirol R-09, which to my ears has a slightly better sound (preamps, I think), but the zoom is half as much, and well worth the $$$ from what I've seen. You can check out This thread for details on the small digital recorders out there right now, including sound samples.

The zoom is a real swiss army knife, and acts as a computer interface as well as a field recorder. You'll pick up cymbals for sure - check the linked thread for details about how to get the best mix from a bassist's perspective.

The one feature that the R-09 has that the zoom doesn't is that on the R-09, you can adjust the input sensitivity on a control on the outside of the unit, whereas with the zoom, you get three choices for input sensitivity before you have to start getting into menus/submenus. What this means for recording live stuff is that you can easily get a good level on the R-09, but it's a bit more difficult on the fly with the zoom. Other than that, the unit is a no brainer, and I know many people who are happy with theirs and out there making great recordings.

3. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008
    Buddy of mine used one to record a jazz band (piano, double bass and drums) and it was pretty decent. He added a guitar lead after the fact on one of the other tracks and it fit great in the mix, You could'nt tell the guit track was added.

4. Sharkabilly

Sharkabilly

Sep 26, 2007
    appreciate it man.

5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I have an H4. Awesome little unit. The user interface sucks ass tho.

6. The H2 is way easier to use than the H4 and its sound quality is awesome, my recordings with just my piano player and me doing classic trio rep are awesome. It makes his tone sound like Bill Evans and well me I like to think I got some of that Scott Lafaro sound. haha, but really your sound is what you really sound like from 2, 5, 10 feet away. People are blown away by the demo we made, they think it was done in a professional studio.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my H2 is one of the best pieces of gear I've bought in the last few years.

8. An H2 recording demo...
    Not a jazz trio, but acoustic, through a quiet PA, bass too low in the mix.

First time I ever used it. Set to all defaults. Unit about 8 ft away from center stage.

Sweet Georgia Brown
    Lonesome Pine

Sound is pretty decent. With a little trial and error, it could be great. With a quiet drummer. Or with the drummer further from the mic. I've read plenty of rave reviews on it.

9. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
  10. You rest my case!
    Wow that sounds great. Using the stock mic?

11. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Yup. Stock mics. On a table about 10' from the stage. Default settings. 'Low' input level.

btw you're clips sound great too.

12. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I have the H2
    Downloaded Audacity for free and I use that to cut up tracks and then put it on CD
    I love mine and just wish that I brought it to every concert and practise

Thanks

Robert VanLane

13. The Zoom H2:

Pros:
    Good price (easily replaceable if lost due to low cost)
    Great recording options (stereo and surround)
    Multiple recording formats (wav & mp3)
    Portable
    Durable
    Great for gig or practice recording at reasonable to loud levels, especially with the in built limiter or compressor options enabled
    An 8 gig card will give you 12+ hours at CD quality wav recording (which I have)
    A great set of options included in the box like mic stand adaptor etc

Cons:
    It's size is it's pit fall - no pro mic capability for example
    Subtle or quiet recording is let down by noisy preamps, or noise with high gain using the internal mics (not extreme, but enough)
    No remote control option
    Body is prone to picking up lots of external noise through vibration
    Recording is capped to about an hour or so continuously

Summary:
    Perfect for band recording etc, but if you plan on doing really, really detailed recordings that you perhaps intend to release, you would be better with a higher quality solid state recorder with suitable mic options etc. Or obviously going to a studio :)

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The recording is good but the music is awesome.
    You guys have a CD available somewhere ?

15. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    i use mine recording rehearsals and performances of my jazz quartet and it sounds great. i think it's incredibly effective in the live setting

16. I picked mine up with a 4 GB card throguh amazon for under $200

It does great - you will have to practice placement for the best mix -

I found that the Drum compressor/filter works best in most live situations and make sure your vocals are runnning in towards it.....otherwise - they are weak.....

You can EQ it afterwards too -

yeah - a best purchase to date for me too.

17. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

Not so. Limited only by memory/format choice.

I think the H2 is one of the best buys in electronic gear.

18. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    The group on this recording is led by this sax player. A really fun band to play with.

19. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Here's a sample recording, live gig (a dual-trumpet hardbop quintet), mic on a table about 6 feet away from the stage. I can't say anything about the settings because the H2 belongs to one of the trumpet players.

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/58033/1 Monaco.mp3

20. Sorry, I'm partly wrong and partly right. The maximum file size is 2 gig for any recording. If you're recording at 24 bit / 48khz in stereo, that equates to about 110 minutes or so. This varies if you are in 4 channel surround. If you go the option of a lossy format, you'll get a really long recording, but it's still capped at 2 gig.

Hope that clears some confusion. :smug: