Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Íf you are a song writer...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Suckbird, May 27, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    ...then you write the music or the lyrics?

I keep see people discuss songwriters.

Also, i see that steve harris has wrote almost everysong of maiden,
    so he has written the music? or lyrics?

2. to me it means you write songs if you sing you write lyrics you are a song writter, if you play bass and write a solo you are a song writer.

3. CaNaDaRoCkSoY

CaNaDaRoCkSoY

May 9, 2005
    Georgia
    I can write music, I have written several songs, one with the aid of a keyboardist. Although when it comes down to lyrics, I pass them off to others with better language skills.

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I usually let my guitarist and keyboardist compose the melodies, while I wrote the lyrics. Sometimes I did both words and music.

5. Depending on your band's viewpoint, it can mean almost anything.

U2 and Coldplay for example list each member of the band as the songwriters. This was an agreement between them to avoid any of the publishing royalty arguments that bands like the Beatles had.

I think if you are contributing something of your own composition to a song, then you are a songwriter. Hard for a drummer, I guess, if all he is doing is providing a standard 4/4 beat. Something like that can't really be copyrighted.

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Steve Harris wrote most of Maiden's music AND lyrics.