1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1/4 from pedal board vs DI from pedal board

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012
    So I been gigging quite a bit and amtired of hauling my oversized rig for a mostly acoustic gig. I been considering bringing my pedalboard and running from it to our PA. (One or two 15" powered speakers on stands) my only question is in this basic setup what would I gain from using a DI?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    for bass?

you'd be asking a lot of a single pole-mounted box that was already doing everything else, unless it was a really low-volume gig. a small bass rig would be really useful, or even just a small cab for your regular bass rig.

as for 1/4" vs XLR, the XLR out will be louder and will go longer distances without loss, but whichever one gets your signal to a close-by PA will do the job.

3. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012
    You think it's a bad idea? :( alright....

4. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,600 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    Unless you are going to have subs and a crossover in your PA then running to the board in a small setting is nearly useless in my opinion. Seems a nice, efficient 210 or 115 cab would be fine.

5. SteveC

SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Without a sub, just 15's on sticks, might be pushing it.

I run IEM's and use a tuner and DI but we have stereo subs as part of a 3 way system.

When I play smaller gigs where there isn't all that PA, I have a small, 300 watt 2x10 that works great.