1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1/4? or speakon?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Noctune, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Noctune

Noctune

Nov 16, 2011
    I've got a new head and cab, the head is rated at 550 watts at 4 ohm's which I'm getting the full power from and I've read that if you have a bass head which is rated at over 150 watts 1/4 jack cables aren't the best for the signal to the cabinet? Due to it causing the cabinet harm?

So with that logic speakon leads would be best? :confused:

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    1/4" cables suck for high power stuff; there's very little metal-to-metal contact, they short hot and ground together as you insert or pull the plug, and they don't lock in place. given the choice, speakon will be more secure, both electronically and mechanically.

that said, 1/4" cables have been used for that for years and still get the job done. (don't use them on your 3000w PA power amps, though.)

3. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    I run a 500w head with 1/4 jacks and it works just fine :D I only fear that someone would excidently pull it out while I'm playing

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Quarter-inch plugs were the standard on everything until about 10 years ago. They'll still work today. However, Speakons[SUP]®[/SUP] are superior for safety and durability and, given the choice, I would use only Speakons[SUP]®[/SUP].

5. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    I had a 1/4" plug blow out of my 18 at a gig. Speakons don't do that. Any questions?

6. 1/4" plugs and jacks were designed for telephone switch boards, back in the days BEFORE direct dial connections. Why they are still pressed into service for things they were not designed for (only small signal connections) is a mystery?

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Ahhh! Sweet Miss Terry of Life! :)

If you have the option use Speakons. As has been said they are superior in every way. Every speaker cabinet I own now sport Speakons and that's all I'll use. Retrofit your cabinets with these connectors and don't look back. Eventually every amp will only use Speakons. It'll stop folk using signal cables to connect their amps to their cabinets immediately.

8. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    I think due to the simplicity factor. And the fact that the power output of the older amps were typically under 100 watts.

Heres a little amp trivia (along these lines):

Y'know the red jewel "power-on" lamp on Fender amps?

Those were originally manufactured in WW II as indicator lights for B-17 and B-25 bombers' instrument panels!!:cool:

9. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    A lot of EX military hardware was repurposed after the end of the war. Most of us "of a certain age" are aware of this. :)

10. Hey Paul what was the name of that little rock on the right? It's just dust now? :D :bag: ;)

11. popgadget

popgadget Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    Speakons, and make sure theyre Neutrik, not a Chinese knock off.

12. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Absolutely!

13. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Buy the four pole versions as they have become the de-facto standard.

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i had no idea. that's neat!

15. Hi.

With low/medium power application like Yours, it doesn't really matter either way, but if there was an option, I do choose speakon every time.

There's a lot of pros in using Speakons other than their superior power handling capability.

Regards
    Sam

16. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I collected them and changed them often. Red, green, blue, purple, and yellow. Ther were white ones and clear ones, but I never had those. Kustom amps used purple, I remember.