Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1 pickup no controls.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by warwickben, May 7, 2005.

1. how do u wire a pickup with no controls. iam useing stargrounding.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you would just wire the pickup hot wire directly to the jack.
    The pickup ground and bridge ground would go to your star ground, and from there to the jack.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I don't use star grounding and really have never looked into it to any extent but I do run pups straight to jacks with no controls. All you'd need to do for star grounding is the equivalent of the following: simply run the coil start (hot lead) to the hot jack lug and negative to ground of the jack, with the bridge ground in my case. I actually use pigtails off the jacks for quick and frequent pup swaps but it's the same in effect.

For actives you just do the same and run the clip negative to stereo jack nuetral.

4. wat is pigtails.

iam not sure wat there called but there on the tone knob its ;iek alittle chip. do i need one for them.

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    by pigtails he means that he put some type of clip or jack on the leads from his output jack. This way he doesn't have to solder every time he wants to change pickups.

I think by "chip" you are referring to a capacitor. And you don't need one.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    You may be amazed at just how good many 'cheap' pickups can sound when wired this way!

-robert

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh,

by pigtails I mean I just tac a short lead off all the lugs to the stereo jacks and I actually just use wirenuts to the pup wires cause the pup(s) will only be there till the next set arrives. I get some hum I wouldn't get most the time if soldered but tone of the pups is the same so no big deal. And I know if they're dead quiet this way they will definetly by quiet for anybody else.

You can use caps (capacitors) if you want by simply throwing them in between the pup lead and jack. Every once in a while I'd do that if the manufacturers recommend a cap - just to check it out. Last time being with active Bart 9E.

And yeh, a lot of tone gets filtered through controls and with some pups it makes a major difference to skip that stuff. Often actives will put out a passive-like tone you'd never hear otherwise. But some pups can sound better through controls with caps and all. Just depends. One thing's for sure, if you want to know what the pup itself sounds like - run it straight to the jack.