Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1 rack-space power conditioner?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davepack, Dec 16, 2004.

1. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Anyone have any suggestions for a good single-rack-space power conditioner??
    Thanks

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Plenty of threads on this already. Do a search on power conditioners or Furman and you'll pull them up fast. Plenty of good info.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you'll find tons of threads on this in effects and or misc. Also, opinions vary widley on the nessesity of them, and how much they actually offer for the money, and if they are worth it. I use a furman pl-pro, which is good for things like lightning strikes, but that is a pretty expensive one. You can get one for a hack of a lot less if all you really want it for is the convenience of having a multiple plug power source in your rack.

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    actually, one thing that doing a search won't do is bring up information on the new Series 2 Furman units. These use a much better design than the older furmans and all the other competitors like my samson (in my sig) that are based on regular MOV design and 3 conductor sheilding. the new series uses LC filters to filter out noise instead of shuting spikes to the ground and having your MOV burn out over time.

so id recommend any of the series 2 units from furman. if you can go without the bells and whistles, then just get the basic one, and you'll be fine

oh yeah the new ones also use LEDs insetad of the regular bulbs, and have a connector on the back for a gooseneck bnc light, which i have on my samson and find invaluable to be able to see my rack's back because its so dark in there and i have a lot of cables running everywhere.

5. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Wrong. The last time a thread was opened on this subject a few weeks ago, the Furman Series 2 were in fact discussed. No need to rehash it here.

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    what the. nice try eric, but i did a search even before i replied, and there is no prior discussion of series LC filtering vs. standard mov designs that the series 2 changes from the performance series in any of the threads. there is only one post that is one sentence long from a person other than me that even mentions that furman series 2 has series protection design, thats thats all, no further discussion, there's even an unanswered question

if you want you could show me how my post was a rehash of anything, and i'll bow out, but i'm still under the impression that my input was new, especially with the feature differences between the old and new line.

7. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH