105q/ feedback probs/ bypass/etc.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Unemploid, Aug 7, 2013.

1. part 1
    i've tryed the crybaby 105q bass wah and really liked it. it took alot of my tone when the pedal was off, because it's not true bypassed, and ,maybe because, the guitar center i was at made me play it through a guitar amp. do you guys have any problems with the pedal eating your tone? should i use a bypass looper, or mod it to be true bypass?

part 2
    i play a gretsch g5123b. when playing live with the band i dont have to much trouble at high volumes. i like the gain, but when i run my signal through my mxr bass fuzz deluxe i get alot of gain and feedback, which is natural for the instrument. i've figured out how i can practice with the fuzz pedal without unwanted noises, but still haven't figured out how to control it while playing with the band. if you have any advice let me know. do you think running my dry signal through the crybaby 105q before the fuzz pedal will reduce the gain noises?

2. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I honestly don't hear the alleged massive tone suck from 105Q. It might cut the high end sparkle but I'm not into much high end anyways. I had 2 of those, and both were new versions, not sure if older version had a worse buffer. I still have it on my board and I love it. I never run my clean tone to my amp though, my tone shaping pedal is always on (darkglass vmt) which gives me that awesome light dirt, mids and balls.

I doubt your noise will be reduced by running the 105q before it. You should let us know which settings you're using. Cranking the gain? I didn't like BFD, since its fuzz tone doesn't reach unity gain. It lacks balls IMO, it's too polite and too quiet in the fuzz section. Fuzz gets buried in the mix, only the dry signal cuts through. I never had gain issues with it though, maybe your pedal is defect.

3. now that i recall, i didn't get too much tone lose, but i did get a noticeable lose in volume, but it was a used pedal. i would agree with you that the pedal is too polite, which i don't mind at the moment. but i do need to check if its defected, or try other fuzz pedals to see how it affects my bass. right now i need to sleep, tomorrow i'll set up my rig to see my settings, but i have no problems while i'm practicing, it's with the band and their sound waves that i think is the cause of the problem. thanks for the response.

4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    No problem. Hmm, loss of volume in 105Q bypass? Weird, definitely don't get that. It's buffered so if anything, it should preserve your volume and cable signal loss.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021