Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12" Combo Amp Under $500?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by TJK, Dec 8, 2003.

1. TJK

TJK

Dec 8, 2003
    Branford, CT
    First post. I'm asking this for a bandmate who has no computer. Can you good folks give me any recommendations for a good 12" combo amp. We play a mix of rock, folk, blues in an acoustic trio (no drums)but we do add drums occasionally. It would need to be around 100 watts I guess as we play bars and need to cut through the din. Thanks in advance. Tom

2. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    i'd recommend the gallien-krueger mb150s, though it will cost about $700. it's tough, small, versatile and pretty good for doubling. you'll find more information about it and other combos (including the swr workingman's series, which i like less but which are closer to your price) in the locked 'newbie links' thread at the top of this forum.

good luck,
    sean p

3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I'd suggest the SWR WM-12. It's 100 watts and can handle an extension cab if needed.

You should be able to find a used one between $300 and $350.

Very nice sound and fairly easy to carry around.

4. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    If you can get your hands on a Trace Elliot TAB 100-15, that might be a good choice. It was specifically designed for the acoustic bass. I got mine for 600 euros (about the same amount in US$), but I suspect you might find them cheaper than that.

Just take care your guitarist doesn't steal it, as it is very popular for amplifying acoustic guitars as well.;)

5. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Second the MB-150. You can often find used 200MBs (the earlier model) for around $300.

A friend I play with occasionally has the GK "Kickback" 12" and he loves it.

I had a WM-12 and wasn't happy with the tone for upright. I like the GK 200MB better.

6. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I like the GKMB150 for its decent tone and ESPECIALLY for its durability. Talk about roadworthyness! For larger venues, I bring along a Sennheiser E609 (not the silver one, the black one), locate it close to the grill, and run it through the house.

This has worked great for big rooms or orchestral sized bands. The tone is great and I can finally be heard!

Nick

7. TJK

TJK

Dec 8, 2003
    Branford, CT
    Thanks for your suggestions, I'll pass along the info. All I have to do now is get him to open his wallet. I've found I have a talent for spending other peoples money. Peace, Tom