Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12 inch speaker work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Hey, I'm wondering, would a single 12 inch speaker at 8 ohms be usable for a decently loud band practice if driven by 350 watts into 4 ohms?

Thanks.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it might be if it's sensitive enough and it can take that many watts (or close to it)
    it would also help to put it up on something to help get it closer to ear level
    or you could always convince your band mates to turn down :rolleyes:

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Unless you are in a band with Robin Trower you will be OK.

4. This makes a huge difference, especially with larger diameter drivers.

You will hear it fine, but the band (read: drummer) won't. Too bad... turn down. Loud rehearsals allow the sucking part to be covered up. Try an acoustic rehearsal sometime... very revealing...

:D

5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    We practice in a very large room. I use(for practice) a Behringer bx600 on an amp stand. It is turned slightly for the drummer's benefit and works fine. We practice at full volume through a PA/monitors. We are able to hear the bass OK without running it wide open. It saves dragging my bigger rig around. Your results may vary.

6. ChainedDragon

ChainedDragon

Dec 26, 2003
    Michigan
    ummm...I wouldnt suggest trying to run an 8 ohm speaker at 4ohms.......

depends on the 12's, all speakers are diffrent

7. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Depends on the efficiency of the speaker/cab.

If you're talking about a SS amp, @ 8ohm your typical SS amp will give you around half what they're rated for @ 4ohm.
    So expect around 175 - 200W into that 8ohm 12".

Something like a Bag End S12-D would work pretty well in that type situation -- others...I dunno (maybe an Aguilar GS112). [Uuuuh, those two together would be great -- 4ohm total load -- GS112=deep & S12-D=punchy.]

[Most tube amps have taps for 8ohm & 4ohm that both deliver the same amount of power.]

9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I had an swr bass 350 (into 4ohms, 2?? into 8ohms). I ran it into my aguilar gs112, sounded pretty loud, but like the other guy said you'll hear yourself fine, but for the band to hear you I'd suggest either more juice or another cab. I ran with 2 gs112s and the 350 and it was good for most of MY situations.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i use that combo quite often - it's what you thought it would be :D
    just ignore the pesky s-15 in the middle

[​IMG]

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I would think they would rock together!