Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

12" vs. 15" cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cgworkman, Feb 24, 2005.

1. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    It's hard to search for a thread of this nature since it won't let me search for "12" or "15"...

Anyways, I like the bottom end a 1x15 will give you, but want more of the attack of a 4x10. Will a 2x12 cab acheive this? I have a Avatar 115 and was considering a 212.

Any suggestions/comments appreciated.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    can o worms.
    dead horse

but you're right, the search function sucks for this subject as it doesnt like 12 and 15. the answer is, it depends. cabs are all voiced differently. speaker diameter matetrs, but not as much as you'd think.

i've heard a lot of 2x12 cabs with a lot of low end and that were very punchy. i'm sure someone wil lchime in with a specific reccomendation or 2

3. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I figured...but considering the search limitations I wasn't going to sift through 1,000,000,000,000 posts.

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    It all depends on the cab. I have had many guys comment about the punch my TE 215 has. It definately can give you that "slap in the face" type punch. I have heard other 15" cabs that are muddy with no punch.

I would imagine there are 212 cabs that are the same way. Unfortunately, I haven't tried any of the 212 cabs yet, sorry.

5. I have an Avatar B212. In my opinion it doesn't have extreme low end, but it is punchy. I would say it is 60% punch and 40% low end. I hope you understand what i am saying. ;)

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have three different 2/12 cabs, and they all go lower than any fifteen cab I've had.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I use a 12 on top and a 15 on the bottom. Bag End's. Works great!

8. ampeg66

ampeg66

Dec 29, 2002
    I always used 15s, and haven't liked any 10s that I've tried. 12s have been a great compromise for me, with the exact same reasoning as yours - deeper than 10s, quicker and more punch than 15s.

I wrote about my Aguilar GS412 in a couple of threads, if you can find 'em...

9. I like my Gallien Krueger Neo 2 x 12. Plenty of low end and plenty of punch. It has given me every tone I could ask for coupled with a BBE Bmax. I love it.

10. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Which 12's do you have?

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i do the same thing. not earth shaking low end, but a very tight sounding one. the BE 12 is punchier than almost any 10" i've heard.

as far as straight 2x12 cabs go, i ws kind of unimpressed by the eden, ok but not great. the epifani is probably my favorite, great lows and very punchy. IMO the bergie 212 is too muddy for my tastes. In both epi and bergie flavors the combo of two 1x12 cabs lacks the subterranean lows, but is extremly punchy, very similar top the bag end stack, but with a different "flavor" .

12. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep. To get the "earth shaking low end", I supplement my Bag End's with a pair of EVX-180A's, they're basically "subs". I drive them with a 2100 watt Stewart 2.1, through an active crossover positioned just before the power amps. The subs are only really necessary for outdoor gigs, but they can definitely make peoples' pant legs vibrate at 50 yards, which is my goal in life! :)

The good thing about these types of systems, is they can be built in a "modular" manner. If you're playing a small club, take a Bag End mini-stack, and nothing else. If you're playing a big outdoor stage, put the Bag End's next to the drummer, and the subs on the outside facing in (and mic'd), and you've got some very deadly sound. The Grateful Dead was masterful at this kind of thing, they were probably the "best in the business" when it came to live sound. I've learned a lot of lessons from their setup. Going all the way back to the "Wall of Sound", but their later stuff is much more scientific. For a while there, Phil used to position a sub directly underneath the drum riser, and mic'd it, and in parallel with that, he'd run a crossover output straight into the board. He was a real genius when it came to live sound. :)

13. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Out of curiosity, could you combine two cabinets to get the best of both worlds? One cab be a 1x15, other 4x10? As long as the ohms works out for the amp....

14. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Sure! You can just run them in parallel, or you can use a crossover and a "bi-amp" arrangement. I run the Bag End's in parallel, 'cause I really dig the sound that way. But the subs get the crossover, they won't even respond to anything above a few kHz, and trying to pump high frequencies into them would just heat up the voice coil and burn them out. A 15 and a 4-by should work fine in parallel though. :)

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a Bergie 2/12, Ernie Ball 2/12, & a Schroeder 2/12 :cool:

16. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I wanted to try a 2nd 15" (avatar) with my SWR SOB 15" cab, but now I am thinking I would like a 2x12 (also Avatar)below my SWR 4x10 Goli III. And maybe sometimes the new 2x12 with the 1x15. Started practicing with a Motown, R&B, yes disco too band. I have been using my passive MIM Standard Jazz for the Motown stuff. Been using my Skyline 55-01 for the other stuff,mostly for the low B. I was thinking the 4x10 and new 2x12 might work for upcoming tavern/sportbar gigs. Then again so as not to stay broke, may just play my current 4x10 & 1x15 setup with GBE 600 amp to see if the band even lasts. Seems the last few times I gave in to my G.A.S. the bands breakup soon after, so maybe better not to jinx this new band just yet. BTW girl vocalist sings her @$$ off, so maybe this band will go awhile. Then I can relieve my 2x12 (prolly new avatar)G.A.S. Needs to be 8 ohm though, is that a factor if I ever want it as a stand alone for practice?

17. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    I have played two 212 cabs live, one Aguilar and one Ernie Ball. They both sounded ok alone, but I wasnt impressed by the way they cut throug on stage.
    With an Aguilar 112 I had the same problem.
    Is this a general problem with 12-s, or is it just not the best 12-s I have played?