1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1250 watt amp powering a 600w cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeG, Oct 5, 2008.

1. JoeG

JoeG

Oct 30, 2007
    New Jersey USA
    I thinking of using a Carvin B1500 (1250 watts @ 4 ohms) to power a Carvin 10.2 cab (2 10's neo 600 watt @ 4 ohms), for low volume jazz gigs. Could this do damage to my cab? I didn't find an answer checking older threads. Thanks for opinions.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    So long as you are careful, it should be OK. If you get to the point where the cab is in danger of damage, you will know it because the drummer will have thrown all of his sticks at you.

But really, it is likely that playing at a sane level for the genre of music will mean that you don't need to worry about the speaker.

I don't know the amp. Is it stereo? If so, there might be an operating mode where it puts out less power through a single channel.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    define "low volume" gigs...

if you mean acoustic, ya your probably safe. the point at which you run a risk is when you seem to reach a volume plateau and continue to crank that extra juice into the speaker. a 210 will only get so loud no matter how much juice you have. it should be loud enough for a small basement jam, even with drums and acoustic or low volume electric gigs, but I suspect if you get into "shouting" territory to communicate, then you are getting near the danger zone.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    +1

I tend to assume low volume acoustic.

One more idea, if this is going to be a dedicated jazz rig for a while, you could re-wire the speakers in series, so it's 16 Ohms, and it will probably be unconditionally safe with that amp.

5. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

You'll be just fine!
    You will hear any effects of over-driving the cab long before you do it any damage, and you WILL back off.

Really.
    Just don't turn stupid! :D