Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

15" speaker replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by s-curl, Mar 19, 2006.

1. s-curl

s-curl

Mar 16, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Need some recommendations for a replacement for the 15" speaker in my Ampeg 1540. Always loved the tone of the thing, but when I push it hard, it pops like Rerun from the tv show What's Happenin' Now?

I need something that'll for sure work well with the cabinet (half the Ampeg fridge ported). I'll be driving it with a Fender 400ps which will put 145 tube watts into it so it must be 4ohms. It'll be run alongside the stock 4x10 in the top of the cab aswell.

Thanks all. :smug:

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    If you had asked what's a good 4 ohm replacement for a 4' cubit foot box, tuned to 45 hz, and capable of accepting 400w without exceeding Xmax, you would get answers.

Your request requires knowledge of some specific products, that most folks probably don't have.

The short answer- there aren't that many 4 ohm 15's out there. Call Avatar and see what Dave has; he may have one. Whether it is appropriate depends on a lot of factors you haven't supplied.

3. s-curl

s-curl

Mar 16, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    thank you, baby. you're very sweet. love those esp products.

4. jbasss

jbasss

Dec 5, 2005
    Sthlm, SE
    Check out Eminence - sitting in a lot of cabs.

BTW, what's "tube watts" :meh:

5. jbasss

jbasss

Dec 5, 2005
    Sthlm, SE
    I don't think the speaker will now if it's a tube- or solid state amp pushing it ;) Sorry, couldn't resist.