Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1500 Sheep Jump Off Cliff

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Corbis, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    This is really horrible for the people involved but you do have to admit this is sorta funny.

Maybe they had the rare LemmingSheep?

===========
    450 Sheep Jump to Their Deaths in Turkey

ISTANBUL, Turkey (AP) - First one sheep jumped to its death. Then stunned Turkish shepherds, who had left the herd to graze while they had breakfast, watched as nearly 1,500 others followed, each leaping off the same cliff, Turkish media reported.

In the end, 450 dead animals lay on top of one another in a billowy white pile, the Aksam newspaper said. Those who jumped later were saved as the pile got higher and the fall more cushioned, Aksam reported.

``There's nothing we can do. They're all wasted,'' Nevzat Bayhan, a member of one of 26 families whose sheep were grazing together in the herd, was quoted as saying by Aksam.

The estimated loss to families in the town of Gevas, located in Van province in eastern Turkey, tops $100,000, a significant amount of money in a country where average GDP per head is around $2,700.

``Every family had an average of 20 sheep,'' Aksam quoted another villager, Abdullah Hazar as saying. ``But now only a few families have sheep left. It's going to be hard for us.''

===========

Edit:

someone didn't believe me :D here's the link.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/0001/20050708/0931030685.htm

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Suicide sheep.... :D

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Wow.

4. Check out Thomas Hardy's "Far From The Madding Crowd" - Farmer Oak had singularly terminal way of dealing with an over-enthusiastic trainee sheep-dog…

- Wil

5. 1500 sheep can't all be wrong, can they?

Randy

6. That's terrible for the family, but it is somewhat humorous that 1,500 sheep jumped off a cliff.

7. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    Any mention of why they jumped? Bizarre!

8. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    :D

9. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    :D:D:D

10. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    This is all too funny. :D:D:D (LMFAO, till I'm laughing so hard it hurts).

Thanks Corbis, this is probably the best thread I've seen in OT in quite a while. :)

(Not that I don't feel for the farmers and their families, it's just that the multiple entendre here is all too hilarious - in an eyebrow-raising kind of way). :eyebrow:

11. Ill have to remember this for the next "Help Name my band "Thread.

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Sheep are really dumb... ya wonder why God calls people sheep.. haha!
    But everyone else is doing it mom!!!

Reminds of the time when all those possessed pigs ran off a cliff....

13. To Infinity, and Baaaaaaaaa baaaaaaaaaaa baaaaaaaaaa

splatsplatsplatsplatsplatsplatsplatsplatsplatsplatsplatsplat
    etc, etc

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If there's a lesson to be learned here it's "If you're going to follow the crowd always be in the rear."

brad cook

15. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    This is interesting. I have actually thought about writing an essay about the suicidal tendencies in the Icelandic sheep. I HATE sheep. Sometimes I get so pissed off when I see these horrible creatures on the road, I want to speed up. I don't because I would ruin my car.
    The only good thing about sheep is that they taste good, but I have actually thought about becoming a vegetarian. Too bad I love meat.

16. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    The wolf pushed them - sshhhhh.....

17. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    This thread just has way too many puns in it already...

Though, all of the sudden, I feel like busting out a copy of Lemmings

http://193.151.73.87/games/lemmings/

actually, there we go :p

18. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    When I first read the title I instantly thought how lamb chops are soooooo tasty....what do these people mean that "it's going to be hard for us?" They have enough meat for quite a long time. :hyper:

I just played a game of lemmings, and now I remember why I stopped playing it.... :p

Oog

19. hahahahahahahahahahaha

20. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    This isn't the first time, in recent history, we've seen mindless sheep follow a dumb-ass leader in a stupid direction.