1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

16 ohm tweeter and 8 ohm speaker?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by nsmar4211, Apr 18, 2010.

1. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Curious about this. I understand having two 8ohm items, or 2 4 ohm items, but a monitor I took apart has a 16 ohm tweeter and an 8 ohm speaker. Does have a pretty complicated looking crossover board...... but how would you wire the two together without a crossover if you wanted to use them in something else?

2. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I wouldn't.

3. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    If you went x-over less that would mean you'd be sending a very hot bass signal to a tweeter, which is just and incredibly bad idea.

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    You can't use a tweeter without a crossover. It will destroy itself and then add just a ton of distortion to your sound. You don't want that, I promise.

5. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    a 16 ohm horn matched with an 8 ohm driver is a fairly common practice. I would not run the horn without a X-over, the purpose of the X-over is to limit the frequency range and power the horn gets. You will find the woofer may be rated at 150 watts, and the horn/tweeter may be rated at around 50 watts.
    The exception is if the tweeter is a piezo type, you can run those without a X-over, but i hate piezos, they sound like compressed crap.

6. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Wattage isn't a question here, piezos just can't handle low frequencies at any useful volume, if any at all.

7. Hi.

8/16 & 4/16 "mismatch" is very common in 2 way enclosures.

If You look at the sensitivities of the components, You'll understand.

Running any kind of high frequency device (or mid device for that matter) without a cross-over (or hi-pass filter) is asking for trouble. And asking for a really bad sound as well.

Regards
    Sam

8. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Hrm ok so they need a crossover. :D I'm pretty sure it's not a piezo type, its got a huge horn, and a huge magnet at the end.

So I guess I'm confused about how you put a 16 ohm and an 8 ohm item together. I understand how you'd run a 4+4, an 8+8, etc to get a 4ohm cabinet or an 8 ohm cabinet......series vs parallel and all that. But how would you wire 16 + 8 to get 8?!
    Does it have to do with the capacitors/resistors on the crossover board? (I keep reading and just having quite gotten it :) )....

9. Hi.

The bass driver or a woofer is the only one You need to be concerned with.

Partly the cross-over is to thank for that, but the main reason is that as the high frequencies are less demanding for the amp, and the energy needed for mid->high frequency reproduction is only a fraction of that needded for bass frequencies, the amp is happy whatever the demand is.

Regards
    Sam