1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1683, really?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by CPike, Oct 9, 2010.

1. CPike

CPike

May 28, 2005
    Dallas, TX
  2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    More like 1883. And firewood, to boot.

3. Classickbass

Classickbass

Aug 15, 2010
    Kingston, TN
    Wow, it's like that beer commercial for the most interesting man in the world...

"Back home I jammed in a kick a** band before coming over here to shot down some baddies in my fighter plane. Lost in the Burmese jungle for 6 weeks, no problem. I survived on my own good looks. Only to return home and invent the I-Beam suspension system before going off to do a little start up called NASA. No biggie, was just bored that day and wanted to do something different."

4. Good God, it's a blockless wonderless!
    Hey Arnold, at least they say it's "One of a kind".

5. Would be an interesting conversation piece sitting in the corner of a room, that's about it..

6. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    1683 ? I doubt that. He says it was verified by a guy in Florida. Call them.

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    Einstein played it on the moon? That's gotta be worth something.
    Oh, I misunderstood. The bass has been in the Burmese jungle since going down in WWII. Now I get it.

8. wdnewman

wdnewman

Apr 13, 2009
    This is exactly the reason I would NEVER buy anything on Ebay that I did not check out thoroughly beforehand.

Good grief.

:rollno:

9. bigolbassguy

bigolbassguy

Feb 13, 2010
    Billings, MT
    It's such a compelling story, though. It was also used as a gurney during King William's war... yeah, that's the ticket.

10. wdnewman

wdnewman

Apr 13, 2009
    Further research shows that the roster of the AVG (American Volunteer Group, aka "Flying Tigers") shows NO Paul Bartlett with them in any capacity during their existence.
    Honeywell Corp. was a sub-contractor of NASA, not a founding entity.

I imagine there are more holes in this story than there are in that bass.

11. CPike

CPike

May 28, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    I had no intention of buying it. A friend brought it to my attention and asked me what I thought, so I thought I'd post it here for a few laughs...

cdp

12. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    ignorance comes in 5/8, 3/4, 7/8 and 4/4 sizes...

13. Aw, cmon! The wood looks pretty nice; a little flame on the back and ribs. If the instrument was free, it might be worth the effort/price of restoration. I'd buy it if I saw it at a garage sale in the Burmese jungle.

Here and here are basses from 1683!

14. No Paul Bartlett in wikipedia. No relevant results from a google search for him. And, as has been said, the official Flying Tigers website never heard of him. Googling "stringwarmers" produced one hit: the eBay item.

15. ckngumbo

ckngumbo

Jan 26, 2009
    Kentucky String Warmers was an all female band - Goog'd:hyper:

16. decimal needs moved, two places left.

17. bigolbassguy

bigolbassguy

Feb 13, 2010
    Billings, MT
    I tried that, but fortunately they declined the offer :D

18. Need2KnowBasses

Need2KnowBasses

Aug 30, 2010
    It is nice that the seller at least has the decency to post the questions where people state the description is way off the mark but the price is insane.

19. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    "Also, unusual, the fingerboard is attached with 2 flathead screws. Perhaps this was part of the restoration work that was done back in the 50s."

Umm...glue wasn't yet invented?

20. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    $5,000 seems a little cheap if it truly is from 1683. JMO.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021