1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

18" sub

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassShreddr, Apr 10, 2009.

1. BassShreddr

BassShreddr

Apr 4, 2009
    Have played for about 10 years with this setup: Bag End 410, BE 15, Stewart WT 2.1, Alembic FX-1 pre-amp. Great sound & zero technical problems. I had always hoped to replace the 15 with a BE-18/Infra processor someday but it has become cost prohibitive. After trying my 410 with a friend's Peavey 18" sub, I was way impressed with the low end--- deep, smooth, solid as a rock-- although above mids there was a drop in volume. My question--- has anybody used the Peavey SP118 in their setup. Good? Bad? I will definitely play thru it before I buy but it seems like a relatively inexpensive alternative to the Bag End 18/Infra. Thanks.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'd stick with your matched set, and skip on the Peavey, but that's me. I did have an old Peavey 18 way back when, and all I remember of it is alot of booming mud.

3. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I got a good price on the ELF (Infra) processor and BE 118, and they show up for a reasonable price from time to time in the used market. But that can take time. Ironically, my favorite 18" traditional sub is the BE S18B-D (the big 18" cab) it's a heavy (86 lb) big old sucker, but you can play it with the port covered or open and it is not muddy - huge, and you have to EQ your way out of boominess, but it sounds great set up correctly.

The ELF/INFRA approach is very cool and surprisingly lightweight (cab weighs less than 70 lb). But it requires the integrator and a dedicated amp channel (easiest if you are already in a preamp - stereo power amp configuration). The sound is a show-stopper, though. I keep trying to talk myself out of keeping mine - lots of shows with good PA support, more stuff to carry, etc. But nothing beats the ELF 118 with a Schroeder 1515+L on top for an outdoor or big room/no PA support show. :cool:

4. BassShreddr

BassShreddr

Apr 4, 2009
    Seems to keep coming back to the ELF setup. Do you have any good suggestions on used market sources. I've looked a little on craigs, TB, ebay without luck. I think you're right, it may take some time.