1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

18v conversion on ESP pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by snorris, Aug 22, 2012.

1. snorris

snorris

Aug 22, 2012
    I am considering doubling from 9 to 18v on my Ltd B-304fm with the stock ESP pickups (not emg) and 3 band eq. Before I try this I want to ensure that these pickups are designed to handle 18v like the EMG's etc. I would rather ask what might be a dumb question than fry my rig. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    They are not designed to handle any battery voltage. The pickups are passive. Battery only supplies power to the preamp which is designed to run on 9volts like the vast majority of preamps. No reason at all to try running it at 18 volts and that could potentially damage the preamp from excess voltage. Emg is the only company I know of who designs their stuff to run at 9 and 18 volts with many preferring 18 since emg didnt build enough headroom ability into their stuff for 9 volts like other companies do. Keep your esp at 9volts. Thats the correct voltage for the preamp.

3. snorris

snorris

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks for your words of wisdom... although that wasn't the answer I was hoping for. Was thinking I might gain some "oomph" by adding another battery. Oh well, glad I asked the dumb question.

4. Increasing the supply voltage should only increase the headroom. Things shouldn't sound any different.