1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1962 Fender Precision bass Dates

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eliot Lorango, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Hey all!

I’m wondering if anyone knew the answer to this. If you have a 1962 Fender Precision bass neck dating October 62 but the body is missing any pencil marks in the cavity. The pots are dated the 14th week of 61. Is that possible that Fender could have used an old Pot during that time period. Asking because I came up on a 62 P bass being sold that it is mostly original minus refin, pickguard and refret. The back neck plate matches 62 but not sure why there would be an early-ish 61 pot in there unless replaced.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I only dated one once.

Eliot Lorango likes this.
  3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi Eliot :)

Back in the days they used whatever they found in the drawer.
    But of course the pots also could be replacements (we will never know)

Only thing that we can be sure of:

The funk on all these parts hasn 't been changed for a looooong time! :D

Have fun with that mojo machine!

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

4. 66 pots were used until the 70s - no worries.

5. I know starting around that time it became much more common to have random dates on the pots but I heard the early 60’s it was a much more uncommon practice especially to be over a year off. I could be wrong though.

6. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    It’s normal to see a bass with pots from the year before. You gotta remember, the pots were made by a different company and would often sit in their warehouse for a while before being sold to Fender. Then they would often sit in a box at the Fender factory for a while before being put into a guitar - especially if those pots were at the bottom of a big box and some of the last to be used of that batch. You won’t normally see pots dating more than about a year earlier (except in the case of ‘66 pots being used up into 1970), but ‘61 pots in a ‘62? Very normal.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Maybe not common like later years, but seen quite a few instances of one pot having an earlier date.
    For those with the eagle eye, you can tell if it was re-soldered (or changed) because the solder spot would be different (shinier) than the rest of the solder joints. The pic doesn't show the solder joint, so can't tell.
    Which brings me to point out: the white wire on one of those pickup coils is only hanging on by one remaining strand of wire. So that bass is going to have a solder joint repair very soon.

8. Haha you are very correct about the pickup wire! I just had that soldered yesterday to be in there more secure. I’ll try and take a better picture if possible of the pot solder joint. Since it was refinished at some point would it already have been done just for that reason? I’m not super tech savvy on these types of repairs (which is why I won’t do stuff like that myself!)

9. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Generally, yes.
    But I've see people do the strangest things... I've seen basses where the solder joints were undone at the pickups so the joints in the control cavity were virgin.

10. Are these of any help?
    Are these pictures of any help? Thanks for the responses by the way!

Attached Files:

11. Anyone else have any guesses? I just find it odd both pots are dated 14th week of 61. Has anyone ever seen that on a late 62 as an original pot?

12. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I thought I had replied about those pics, but no they dont help, you need to see clearly the back face of the pots.

But 1961 pots wouldn't bother or seem out of the ordinary. 1971 pots would! :D they very could be replacements, but at least they match and are 60's pots
    I'd be happy.

13. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    More pics!!!!!! : )

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021