1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale 1966 Fender Precision Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Bob in NC, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Price:
    Strings:
    bass and case. 1966 Fender Precision Bass (P Bass) with original case for sale. This bass has been authenticated at Guitar Center in Raleigh. I am not an expert hence why I sought assistance from a professional. I was not made aware of anything that is not original by their antique department. This beauty was passed down from my wife's grandfather who bought it brand new. I am asking $4000 but will consider all reasonable offers.

Attached Files:

2. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    Interesting decal.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    May I suggest you share a close-up photo of the headstock of this bass - front and back.

4. zacmac

zacmac

Dec 10, 2012
    You need to post some more pics of the neck stamp at the end by the truss rod and underneath the pickguard and inside the neck cavity. The plate is a 67', the neck appears to be 65-67 with lacquer C width and pearl dots but the decal has been replaced, the pickguard is from 74' or later and the case is from the 70's. I suspect based on the limited info that it could be a factory refin after 74'. I would never trust vintage advice from GC with exception of the hollywood vintage guys. Post some better pics and I will be happy to help you decipher this mystery bass. Your chances of selling will greatly improve if you can accurately describe and depict this beautiful instrument.

bass_case, Unchain, jsr914 and 2 others like this.
  5. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    What year did they move the thumb-rest / pull-bar? I ask because the body of this bass looks EXACTLY like a '78 I had.

6. The tug bar turned into a thumb rest in late 1973.

zacmac likes this.
  7. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Thus supporting my '70's body theory. This may well be a nice bass, but it's not a stock '66.

8. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I doubt you'd find the tug bar in that location on a '66.

9. zacmac

zacmac

Dec 10, 2012
    Correct & the pickguard is 70s as well but that may have been replaced. The body routes are different after 74' and if we can see a pic we can better date.

10. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Wow, lots of help from knowledgeable folks, here! Very interesting thread. Sub'ed.

11. Carmine j fazzi

Carmine j fazzi

Oct 17, 2019
    Definitely not a 66 I can assure you of that