1967 Ampeg B-15N JBL Speaker Upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Turbocharbo, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Turbocharbo

Turbocharbo

Feb 16, 2005
    Which JBL model would of been the stock upgrade for a 1967 B-15N? I have a chance to grab a D130F but am wondering if I should hold off for a D140 or a K140. I'm using this amp for recording so having an high wattage speaker is irrelevant for my applications.

Thoughts!?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

IIRC the upgrade driver for a B15 was an Altec not a JBL.

FWIW I tried both an Altec and a JBL 2225 in my unit but preferred the stock CTS driver which is in there now. :)

DJ Bebop and agedhorse like this.
  3. Turbocharbo

Turbocharbo

Feb 16, 2005
    Oh ya? Weber seems to list Jensen, CTS, JBL & Altec here: Speaker Codes & Applications – Weber Speakers

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

LOL If you already know everything why did you pose your question? :D

Why would Ampeg use an upgrade driver that was made for Fender D130F? Besides for bass a D140 would be more apprpriate.

One last question: Why do you consider Weber an authority?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Jeff Scott and agedhorse like this.
  5. Turbocharbo

Turbocharbo

Feb 16, 2005
    I don't. I'm just putting it out there and raising the question...

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I don't think that list is all that accurate IME.

7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

... my two b15 cabs were loaded with crumbling Altec speakers ,
    but when a friend gave me two freshly re-conned JBL D140F drivers ,
    i couldn't resist ... they sound awesome .
    :cool: IMG_1965.JPG
    ... :bassist:...

IMG_1971.JPG IMG_1958.JPG
    :cool:

jeff7bass, mikecd1, Joebone and 2 others like this.
  8. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Apparently, the JBL was an upgrade before the CTS. The original 15 was a Jensen, then an upgrade to a JBL, then the CTS.
    Advertisement
    1956 Jess Oliver is hired by Ampeg; gets idea for B-15 circa 1958
    1960 First B-15 Portaflex introduced (for $355), with single-channel 25-watt head; replaced within eight months by the B-15N (N for “new”), which features two channels and a Jensen speaker; B-12N (25 watts) also introduced
    1961 A tilt-back rod (until 1964) and light-up Lucite logo (until 1968) are introduced on the B-15N
    1962 Solid-state rectifier and blue check covering are introduced via the B-15NB
    1963 B-15NL designates a JBL speaker upgrade; 50-watt B-18 introduced
    1964 B-15NC returns to a tube rectifier; B-15X introduced, with horn tweeter and two 4" “echo” speakers
    1965 B-15NF switches to CTS speaker, fixed-bias tubes, and single-baffle cabinet; 25-watt SB-12 (SB for “string bass”) introduced for use with Baby Bass

9. Turbocharbo

Turbocharbo

Feb 16, 2005
    Which JBL would it of been? D130 or D140?

10. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    In 1963, the upgrade was a D130; after that I dunno.

Ric Vice and Turbocharbo like this.
  11. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    To my knowledge the only time you would have had the option of a JBL D140F would have been circa 1967, when you could get either an Altec 421 or a D140 as a factory upgrade.

DaveDeVille likes this.
  12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I believe D140F would have been the upgrade through the mid-late 60s, I have a 65 fixed bias/double baffle with a D140F which was listed as stock when I bought the amp, though who really knows.

The 1967 brochure in the portaflex wiki says the amps are available with JBL or Altec upgrades. I had a 421A in a prior double baffle, it got a bit farty in that cab. Across the various B15s I’ve had I’ve tried some modern eminence (beta and deltas), a K140, a reconed CTS, and this D140F in double baffle cabs, and I had a single baffle with the stock CTS.

I like the D140F and the CTS over the rest.

Ric Vice, DaveDeVille and Turbocharbo like this.
  13. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    I put in a Eminence Beta 15 and I think it sounds fabulous!

jeff7bass and DaveDeVille like this.
  14. bmusic

bmusic

Oct 22, 2017
    Los Angeles
    This thread spotlights how little I know about amplification—me here, thinking a B-15N is itself a thing to aspire to.

"I won James Jamerson's bass in an auction. I can't wait to upgrade the pickup!"

jeff7bass, Matthijs and DJ Bebop like this.
  15. blastoff

blastoff

Sep 5, 2007
    way out west
    i put a d140 in my 66. sounds great. its got a little sparkle

16. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

just to be clear , my B15NA is early to mid 60's , and came equipped with the Altec 421A speaker .
    it was in pretty bad shape , with a loose voice coil , and needed to be replaced .
    the JBL's sound pretty dang sweet ...
    :cool:
    IMG_1967.JPG

17. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    An NA would be early 60s. The product literature for 64-65 only shows the speaker upgrades as JBL, the 60 and 62-63 catalogs don’t list an option.

Sales Literature and Advertisements | TalkBass.com

The Altec options appear in the catalog in 67. Not sure when the 421A became available.

DaveDeVille likes this.
  18. mine came stock with a d140 and I loved it. Friend had one with a 421 in it and I dunno, it sounded muffled.

coreyfyfe and DaveDeVille like this.
  19. Turbocharbo

Turbocharbo

Feb 16, 2005
    My '67 cab is currently fitted with an Eminence Delta 15a. Great speaker but I'd like to get something that is more period correct for recording. Regardless of what was a stock upgrade in '67, looks like the JBL d140f is the one to get!

20. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Ampeg went out of their way to design amps and cabs that were different from the competition, Fender. They were loath to sell a speaker used by Fender. They wanted to be different. The D130F proved very popular and people were installing them in their amps of all makes. They sound very good in a B-15.

The D130F was intended as a guitar speaker, the D140F was offered as an option for bass by Fender. Despite that, many D130F’s are found in B-15’s. They are a little brighter sounding with the aluminum coil. When they would blow, D130F's were often reconed with D140 kits.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    DaveDeVille and Ric Vice like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022