1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1967 Fender Coronado Bass II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dtripoli, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Are 21 frets considered short scale?
    I guess the price is about right for a 1967 but you only get half a bass and half a guitar.
    (If that really is a guitar body)
    I'd like to get the neck but $450 is too much?
    Is this a gem or a dud?

1967 Fender Coronado Bass II - $450 (Orange County)
    craigslist Los Angeles
    Parts is parts. Bear with me here but it appears that I have a marriage between a 1967 Fender Coronado Bass II and a Fender Coronado guitar body. Neck is straight and is stamped 20 NOV 67 B, black painted headstock with Fender Coronado Bass II logo.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    The number of frets isn't what determines scale length. IIRC, it should be a long scale neck.

3. Yes, the actual measured length determines scale but I thought, perhaps, the "II" on Fenders generally means short scale.

Still wondering if these parts are a craigslist gem or a dud

4. Coronado is a shortscale (30") bass, but since it's a hollowbody, it's about as long as a standard P-bass is (because the bridge is located in the center of the body). That bass is in fairly bad shape, and parts for it are hard to find (I'm talking about the DeArmond/Rowe pickups and the bridge). The "II" stands for the 2-pickup version (there was also a "I", with just a neck pickup, but they're not that common).

Nice basses, very un-Fender-ish in terms of feel & sound. And light! Did I already tell you they're light?!? Bit thuddy/boxy sound, without much sustain:

7937d4c8.

5. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    The Coronado II has two pickups whereas the Coronado I has one. There may be other differences; I've never had the opportunity to play either.

6. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    There's a very decent complete one on the classifieds right now for $650. No relation, just sayin...

7. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    If you just want the neck, there's one on eBay with all original tuners.

8. Thanks all,
    Bottom line, the bass parts are interesting but this ad weighs in as a craigslist dud. Better, cheaper and nicer condition parts can be had from various sources all over the net.

9. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Can you elaborate on these websites? It so happens I'm in the market all of a sudden and I can't find anything on Coronado parts.

10. UnionZac

UnionZac

Mar 13, 2009
    Nashville, TN
    So I also have a Coronado II, and I pondering the idea of swapping out the pickups. Here's the thing, the previous owner in their infinite wisdom, pulled the old pickups out replaced them w/something larger, and then eventually returned one original pickup. So the original pickup is not seated flush to the body of the bass, and the other pickup just doesn't sound that great. In my mind, the damage of changing this very vintage bass has already been done. Beyond that logic, I've had this bass almost 10 years now, and I doubt I'll be parting w/it soon.

So i'm looking for some pickup suggestions (other than Darkstars which are awesome, and expensive and hard to find). In addition to a particular make of pickup, I'd love to hear what kind of tonal characteristics it might add to a fully hollow bass.

Thanks!

picture here: https://flic.kr/p/mafYxa