1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1967 Guild Starfire bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by mellowgerman, Mar 28, 2020.

1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Price:
    Strings:
    For sale only now, $1720 cash/local or $1820 shipped CONUS... might still consider a small partial trade for the right bass, amp, cab, guitar, or pedal, but do need to end up with at least $1400 in my pocket at the end of the day.
    Keep in mind, your stimulus checks are coming ;)

This beautiful old Starfire is super comfy, legendary fat, clear tone. Relatively rare maple body & neck with sunburst finish. Just had frets crowned/levelled professionally. Currently wearing a set of Thomastik Infeld flatwound strings.

Overall good shape for a 53 year old bass. Finish checking, some oxidation on metal parts, dings and dents here and there. As depicted: headstock veneer and binding in the treble-side cut-away have shrunken a bit, but both are solid (nothing loose) and this is a common issue of Guilds from this era. Truss rod and all hardware work fine. In regard to electronics, the pots, capacitors, and switch are non-original but good quality and work as they should. Only caveat here is that the latching push-button switch likes to be pushed down a certain way, kind of to one side, it's hard to describe. Once you get a feel for it though it will work every time, just a little quirk. Case saw a lot of use and shows it. The latch closest to the handle doesn't hold but it's in the middle so the other 4 latches have no issue keeping the case closed. Will add extra padding inside the case for shipping.

$1720 cash/local or $1820 shipped CONUS, Paypal'd.

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    10cc, dave64o, Jim Carr and 5 others like this.
  2. daveman

daveman

Jan 10, 2008
    In my opinion, the Starfire is one of the finest 60's basses made. They sound great and with the lightweight body and short scale, so much fun to play. Beautiful sunburst on this one too.

Stugilliam, nateh415, Max and 2 others like this.
  3. Guzzi Toad

Guzzi Toad

Mar 10, 2019
    Hey Mellow.
    I "recognize" you from the Guild Forum.
    I dig your Starfire. I has a neck pickup like Cat Popper's.
    two resized.jpg
    *sigh* but halfway between Iowa and Florida is still a long ways away.
    (Can't get there from here.)
    Oh well, something will turn up for ya.

dave64o and mellowgerman like this.
  4. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Yes, it's that coveted Hagstrom Bisonic single coil, used on Guilds up through '71 or thereabouts, when they phased it out and switched to the big chrome humbucker. Both sweet pickups, but very different flavors. Love your Starfire/Rick pair, by the way! Looks like a 90's Starfire? Gorgeous flame to that top!

Guzzi Toad likes this.
  5. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    That's a beauty, but I got no Ric and live on the opposite coast anyway.

Besides, I already have "too many" Guilds (oxymoron) of my own.

Good luck getting a deal that works for you (or not and keeping it)!

mellowgerman likes this.
  6. Nice! I dig this bass.

mellowgerman likes this.
  7. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Kudos for wanting a thicker neck on your potential Rick— the 4003 I owned was perfectly chunky and I pine for that feel every so often. This Starfire looks incredibly fun — Good luck in your search!

mellowgerman likes this.
  8. LowGhost

LowGhost

Feb 18, 2020
    Were you to sell instead of trade, any idea what your price would be?

9. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    $1850 shipped CONUS, Paypal'd.

*INITIAL POST UPDATED ACCORDINGLY ABOVE*

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  10. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Now for sale only :bassist:

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021