1976 Gibson Thunderbird Pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andrew Chartier, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Andrew Chartier

Andrew Chartier

Oct 11, 2016
    SWMO
    Hello! I could really use some help on a couple of things.

1. How much is a 1976 Gibson Thunderbird pickguard worth? It is hard to find anything on them, and I am curious if I got a good deal!

2. What might be the safest way to remove the red sharpie streak on the pickguard? It runs on the white and through the field of stars on the birds midsection.

Thanks for any help!

20180827_184854-01.jpeg

2. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Geez... hairspray? I don't know if it'll mess with the silk screening or not but it's a solid option to get the Sharpie off. Good luck finding a replacement one that pretty.

3. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

Dunno. But should you ever wanna get rid of it send me a PM because I do have a 76 TBird. Unfortunately not being a fan of the 'Bicentennial Hype' at the time I removed the 76 from the pickguard on my Tbird. Yup young and dumb lol. So keep me in mind if you wanna sell it. Just the pickguard :)

Rezdog

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Alcohol removes Sharpie so easily you'll think it's magic. The purer the better - stuff at the grocery can be fairly diluted, so check the label for the percentage. But in my experience, even the 70% stuff will probably work fine for this.

I use the straight stuff from the hardware store; since it's not diluted at all, it's good for all kinds of stuff including soaking strings to very nearly new performance. The grocery/drug store stuff is diluted with water, so it'll cause rust on strings.

*disclaimer - I do NOT know how alcohol might affect the stuff you want to keep. I would try just -touching- a very small spot of that logo with an alcohol dampened tissue, then check for any color on the tissue. Even if it comes back clean, I'd probably work on the sharpie that's inside and close to the logo by dabbing with a toothpick wrapped in tissue with alcohol.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  5. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Or a Q tip...

6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Naphtha is what the pros would use. Whatever you do don't let it come in contact with the logo because it will remove that as well. I just looked at the picture, I didn't realize that the sharpie went through the logo, I'd keep naphtha far away from it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    byoung93888 likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021