1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1978 Musicman Sabre

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emoterply, Dec 21, 2007.

1. emoterply

emoterply Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I have a '78 music man sabre and have no idea what its current value is. It is in very good shape, still w/original active p/ups. I've had the wiring redone. I love the bass and am not selling it. Just curious since sabres seem somewhat rare.

2. Someone in Dallas is selling an '83 for $1600 on craiglist. The ad says that one recently sold for $1847 on ebay. I can't really verify anything that the seller said, but I just read the ad a few minutes ago, so it was fresh in my mind....

3. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    $1600-$1800 sounds about right. I've got an '80 left handed Sabre, which is extremely rare, though the vintage market value for Sabres has never been as strong as the Stingrays despite there being fewer of them. Personally, I prefer the Sabre due to the double pickup and switching options.

4. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    The Sabre is the red headed step child of the MM line.

This thing smokes all the EBMM basses I have compared it to for getting the sound in my head. The modern EBMM offering are good basses but they aren't this.

Jim

Spacing005-1.jpg

5. +1 to that.
    To my ear the bridge pickup fills out whats missing in the "stingray" pickup.

[​IMG]

I thought the white switch on mine was an aftermarket replacement til I saw your photo.

6. The keyboardist in one of my bands told me I pretty much got the gig when they saw the state of my fretboard.
    I play a lot- but I think the guy that had it before me must have been a bass playing robot.
    [​IMG]

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It depends on what finish it has and the condition of the bass.
    1100-1500 seems average for 'more plain' colored ones. And I've seen some custom color ones go for a bit more.

Mine's on that list C006042.
    DSC01367.gif

8. Nice finish!
    I'm getting GAS for a black pickguard

9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well yours originally would have had a black pickguard.
    The clear guards were a later feature when the pickup routs in the body were shaped exactly like the pickups around 82-83 and later.

10. I've always wondered that- thanks!

11. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    to answer the OP's question: I'll give you $2000.00 for it.

12. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London

I agree with your valuation. A private sale will fetch between $1100 - $1500 for the natural and sunburst finishes. Which is about $500 less than an equivalent Stingray (age/condition). That's a nice example you have, cleaner than I've ever seen.

13. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    I too have a 78 Sabre, 4 string. I never play it because I play 5 string basses now. Mine is a dark green, looks black in low light. It's in excellent condition except on the rear body, it has belt buckle rash. All original electronics. If interested, let me know and I will take pictures of it.

Alex Bass likes this.
  14. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Saw one in a pawnshop recently for around $1500.

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Depending on the condition, thats probably not a bad price!

16. do you still have this bass,the sabre? i am intrested,send pix to www.alotofbigtoys@aol.com

17. I HAVE A MUSICMAN STERLING THAT IS SUPERIOR TO THE SABRE IN EVERY WAY. THE ONLY THING THE SABRE HAS OVER A NEWER ERNIE BALL IS AGE. IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE YOUR POTS/TREBLE/BASS AND PICK UP SELECTOR ON A MUSICMAN STERLING WITH DUAL HH'S,WHY IS YOUR SOUND BETTER? I AM IN THE MARKET FOR AN OLD PRE EB MM SABRE MYSELF BUT LETS NOT GET CARRIED AWAY.I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A GUY LIKE YOU GET BLIND FOLDED,SAT IN A CHAIR AND HAVE 4 BASSES PLAY. I BET YOU WOULDNT BE ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.GIVIN THE SAME AMP, A EB MM STERLING WILL SMOKE A STOCK SABRE FROM 30 YEARS AGO.I TOO AM IN THE MARKET FOR A SABRE,FOR ITS MISTIQUE AND MUSICAL HERITAGE. AS FAR AS BEING A STAGE READY BASS AT 30 PLUS YEARS OLD IS TOO MUCH TO ASK.

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ow my eyes. lay off the caps.

19. Because that's his opinion and we respect his right to say so.

If your Sterling is so wonderful, then why are you so desperate for a Sabre!?!? That seems like a very hypocritical position.