1978 Musicmaster Bass Project

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Wally Balls, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Wally Balls

Wally Balls

Jan 17, 2022
    Asheville, NC
    I was looking for a short scale bass and came across a 1978 musicmaster in a pawn shop. It is in need of some love so I decided that I would do some modifications and make it my own. I talked with Novak pickups and they are going to make me a custom P bass pickup set up for the more narrow string spacing. To add this pickup I am going to have to route the body out. I have also ordered a 920D custom PB upgraded replacement wiring harness. My plans are to change out the pickgaurd and make one that looks more like the Mustang with the metal control cover, but still using the MM pickgaurd shape.

When i was deciding what bass to get I also ordered a new American Mustang Bass. I played both side by side and decided that the MM had a better feel. Needless to say the Mustang ended up getting returned.

My questions are:
    What is the best bridge? Ideally one that would use the same mounting holes, but I doubt there is one out there. Hipshot had one years ago but is no longer being made. If i can't get an exact match on holes then I want the one with the best sound, preferably one that covers the factory holes so it has a clean look.

Has anyone done this much mod work personally to a MM?

Does anyone know where I can find La Bella 0760M-S original 1954 style stainless steel flat wound strings 0.052, 0.073, 0.095, 0.110?

GregC likes this.