1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1978 PRECISION-LOOKING PRETTY FAKE TO ME

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowphatbass, Aug 21, 2012.

1. rfslick

rfslick

Dec 31, 2008
    Benicia, CA. USA
    Seems like, if you don't trust the deal, RUN! There are others...

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Not a 78 at all. Not even a good attempt at faking a 78.

3. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    That bridge and those tuners are like the ones on the MiMs.

I'm sure it could be a decent parts bass, but why would they want to pass it off as a late '70s model?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not even close.

5. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    ... and the seller has terrible feedback

6. Can't see any ashtray screw holes. No thumb rest or holes for one? Refin and fake scratch plate?

7. He has a '78 fretless neck too......

8. Looks like a MIM from the headstock.

9. That was my thought too. Must be some time portal at his place, that sends everything back to 1978.

10. ko stradivarius

ko stradivarius

Aug 14, 2006
    St. Louis
    No fender stamped tuners, no "F" neckplate either. Scammer.

11. If you zoom in on pic #2, stamped on the back of the headstock it says: "handcrafted exclusively for Harry Seckrest" (it may be Sechrest—it's hard to tell).

Fender doesn't do that...

And it does look cheap as hell.

12. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    The name portion "Made exclusively for" must be a standard custom shop detail? can't say I have ever seen that before.

13. Good question since there are several PBasses you could spend less than $1500 on brand new tomorrow and have a better bass than that one.

14. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    Even if it turns that the inscription and info about the specially chosen wood are real factory specials, if it came from Fender with those plain parts and was never drilled for ashtrays and thumb rest, and if it plays really well, it's a middle-aged P: since when did a '78 become a special vintage instrument?

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

True. A 1978 isn't worth $2k by any stretch, but it is worth $1200-1500 if it is 100% original.

If this is a doctored MIM (likely), it is worth $300-ish.

16. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

Jul 21, 2012
    Texas
    Something is not right for sure about this so called "78" P bass.

I own an authentic 1979 P bass that I purchased brand new back in 1979. Way too many differences between my 79 and that "78".

As "ko Stradivarius" mentioned above, "no stamped "Fender" on the tuning machines and the wrong neckplate". My 79 neckplate has a single, large "F" on it, not "Fender, Corona, California"

When I purchased my 79, the bridge cover and pickup cover were included in the case but they were not mounted so my 79 doesn't have holes drilled in it for those pieces. And Fender wasn't mounting tug bars on those late 70's model P bass's. My headstock Fender logo and serial number are black letters highlighted in gold like the "78" though.

Maybe the person trying to sell this "78" bass replaced a lot of parts on it. But my 79's maple neck has aged gracefully and turned a more "golden blond" color due to it being 33 years old. And my bass hasn't been exposed to sunlight or nicotine to cause the neck to darken somewhat.

Personally, I would be suspicious of this bass unless the seller came clean with all the facts about the differences between an authentic 78 and the one they are trying to sell.

Here is my 1979 authentic Precision bass:

FenderPbass1.

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Run Awaaaayyyyyy!!!!

18. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    If anyone was thinking about getting the neck, I suggest e-mailing the seller and asking about the truss rod beforehand. There was a '78 fretless neck on Craigslist here in Mass a short while ago that I sent a message to the seller about and he told me about a couple of problems that "should not be an issue" when installed, so I passed. I am not positive this is the same neck, but it can't hurt to double check before buying.

19. IMHO it's a Squier headstock.. look at the spacing between tuners.