1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1979 svt info

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bring the noise, May 26, 2011.

1. bring the noise

bring the noise

May 18, 2011
    I have a opportunity to buy one both head and 810 cab. I need to know what everyone thinks of the models from that year? I know they changed some stuff in that time period.

2. bring the noise

bring the noise

May 18, 2011
    Bump

3. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    They're all equally good from that decade. Just make sure it's properly biased and has had a good tune-up and looking over.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    And if it hasn't, be ready to pay for one. Properly checked, tubed, biased, and with a fresh set of caps the amp should rock for years and sound phenomenal.

5. bring the noise

bring the noise

May 18, 2011
    It has been re caped and re tuned. Kinda worried that its so old that issues might come up.

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I wouldn't. If it's been recapped and checked over you should be good to go.

7. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    I miss JimmyM. How long is the temporary ban?

8. Issues can come up with old amps, but you can have lots of issues with new amps too. An SVT is a proven platform, and there are techs who know them well if something goes wrong. Start it up from cold. Run it for a half hour. Check it for humming, popping, or buzzing. If it sounds good, that's a great start. Try to check the transformers and metal parts for excessive rust build-up (signs that it's been stored in a damp place). Often old tubes will be fine, or even better than what you could buy today. Electrolytic caps could potentially need replacing at some point, if they haven't already been done.

With any used gear, you should be prepared for the possibility of repairs, but really, with a 1979 SVT, your chances are better that you'll be OK if it checks out fine in that first 1/2 hour.

9. Sunnburn

Sunnburn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Dayton, Oh
    Dude, You will not find a better amp. Seriously. If it's a deep, round vintage tone your after, It's hard to beat.

10. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    1979 isnt old. That's the newest-vintage SVT ever made. My SVT is a 1972 model, its still working perfectly!

11. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Oh no. what did he do this time? :p

12. Jimmy Jimmhy Jimmy Jimmy

13. He is hangin with J Berlin

14. JimmyM IS TALK BASS

15. bring the noise

bring the noise

May 18, 2011
    Thanks so much for your replys.

16. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  17. bring the noise

bring the noise

May 18, 2011
    I actually thought this amp was located somewhere else so its to far for me to take a look at it. So I'll pass on the info. It's posted on cl in Nashville. 1979 svt. The cab is worn really bad but the head looks to be a good deal. It has newer tubes and has had cap job in the last 2 years. Has it listed at 1300. I though I would pass it on.