1983 Music Man Sabre bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mario Molinari, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Mario Molinari

Mario Molinari

Oct 25, 2017
    Hello everybody!

I'm watching a 1983 sunburst Sabre bass for 1500 usd ca. Why this bass was not a sale star? Is it a good instrument?

Mario

2. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Seems pricey

and depends what condition neck is in?

3. Mario Molinari

Mario Molinari

Oct 25, 2017
    I've never materially touch it, but in picture is in very good conditions...

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'm confused. Is this $1,500 US or $1,500 Canadian? If it's US, it's in the normal range. If it's Canadian, it's a very good deal. Both assuming good to very good condition.

5. Mario Molinari

Mario Molinari

Oct 25, 2017
    1500 USD

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Then I would say it is on the high end of the normal range. If it is in really good condition (frets not pounded to hell, fingerboard not scarred, finish not worn unless you're into that sorta thing) then it's an ok deal. Not bad, not great.

7. > Why this bass was not a sale star?
    Nothing related to the intrinsic quality of the bass, that was / is an excellent axe. It's probably more related to the taste of the buyers, that preferred the more appealing and successful shape/design of the Sting Ray.

> Is it a good instrument? Definitely.
    If you can get one, treasure it. Jealously!!! :) V.

Groove Master and andruca like this.
  8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    83 was the final year of pre EB Musicmans.
    It will be an awesome bass, just make sure the truss rod actually adjusts the neck, as MM had a big batch of necks with bogus non-functioning rods.

malthumb likes this.
  9. Mario Molinari

Mario Molinari

Oct 25, 2017
    Thankyou! how can i check the truss rod at home of the seller?

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You use an allen wrench to adjust the bullet truss nut. Ask the seller to make sure to adjust it to prove to you it works.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021