1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1994 Sadowsky NYC Jazz - Need Replacement Bridge!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StormeeBee, Jun 4, 2014.

1. StormeeBee

StormeeBee

Oct 31, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey Lowdowns!

I bought a sweet 1994 Sadowsky NYC jazz (4 string). The ONLY issue with it is that the original owner swapped out the original bridge in favor of the newer Sadowsky bridge. The new bridge is great but the height of it wasn't a consideration when the bass was built so it sits a little too tall. That means that the saddles had to be wound aaaaalll the way down to get the action low enough.

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement bridge. I've asked Roger but he's away and I want to see what others had to say.

Thanks in advance!

Baxter

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    wasnt he using schaller roller bridges back then?

3. StormeeBee

StormeeBee

Oct 31, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Really?! Thanks, I'll have look!

4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    My 93 Sadowsky has a Schaller roller bridge. I'm not crazy about it simply because the ball end retainers are not slotted to allow quick string changes. But when I asked about changing it to a newer bridge I was told the mounting holes would not line up and new ones would need to be drilled. So I kept the old bridge. Its perfectly functional, just be aware it doesnt allow for quick string changes...you gotta thread the entire string through the bridge.

5. Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Here it is-- image.

6. StormeeBee

StormeeBee

Oct 31, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Hmmm that poses a problem. The new bridge is already on there which means the new holes have already been drilled. I don't really want a mess of holes.

7. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Well, if you can get the action to your liking, I figure you're good even if a couple saddles are on the deck.

And if they're all the way down and you want to go lower, you could just shim the neck. A strip of business card at the back (bridge end) of the neck pocket will get you a _lot_ more adjustment on the bridge saddles.

8. StormeeBee

StormeeBee

Oct 31, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks Ewo! Sound advice!

9. Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    You can also remove each saddle and grind down the bottom side of each, lowering the height a bit

10. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    A little shim under the two (bridge side) mounting screws and it's perfect! :thumbsup: