1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1996 MIK Squier Precision P Bass Very Clean All Original

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Low Main, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Price:
    $325.00
    Strings:
    IMG_0965.JPG IMG_0966.JPG IMG_0967.JPG IMG_0968.JPG IMG_0969.JPG IMG_0970.JPG IMG_0971.JPG IMG_0972.JPG This 1996 Made in Korea Squier P Bass is a lightly played closet queen. All original including the strings. The wood selection is outstanding - one piece body and terrific maple neck with well centered grain and curl and blister figure throughout. It's more like USA custom shop maple than ordinary Squier maple. The neck has a smooth satin finish that looks and feels like a catalyzed varnish - much nicer feel and playability than gloss poly or nitro.

The pickguard has yellowed nicely and has some light scuffing and swirling overall. Some light scuffing on the back of the body near the tail and strap button.

The pickguard has been re-shielded and the pickup and control cavities have been shielded. Also, surgical tubing spacers have been added under the pickups. The nut slots were lowered a bit and the bass is set up with fairly low relief and action.

Ready to ship to CONUS addresses in a new gig bag for $325.00 plus shipping.

Sorry, I'm not able to do any trades at this time.

Edit: the weight is 8 3/4 lbs.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  2. Nice. Already sent link to BluBasPlr. He’s the Squier guy.

3. Low Main

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Many thanks. I'll add a pic of the shielding which I forgot before.

4. Low Main

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
  5. PMd

6. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    still available?

7. Low Main

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Yes, still available, thanks for checking.

8. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Wow! What a cream puff :drool:

9. Where in Massachusetts?

10. Low Main

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I'm halfway between Boston and Worcester. I'll send a PM, thanks.

KUNGfuSHERIFF likes this.
  11. jelly6466

jelly6466 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Mass.
    Interested again. What is custom shop maple as opposed to Squier, was this a special build.

12. Low Main

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Sorry for that maple description. I didn't mean to say that there are definitive quality and grade categories for each division of Fender. I just went back and edited the wording in the listing post. I should have said it looks more like maple you would expect to find on a higher end Fender build than a Squier build.

From what I've seen, the quality of incoming lumber can vary a bit regardless of what division of Fender is processing it. I've seen some pretty ordinary looking maple used in USA Fender basses, and some superb maple used in Mexican and overseas builds, and this P Bass is one of those cases where Squier happened to have some wood on hand that was much nicer than average.

Fender in general buys lumber in such large quantities that there's bound to be some quality variation within each shipment. Once in a while you get lucky and find that they used a primo board to build an inexpensive bass.

Ricky Rioli likes this.
  13. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Squier can indeed have some runs with absolutely stunning Maple. I have one dated from 98 with a CY serial prefix C=China Y=Yako Taiwan with a very heavily flamed neck. It's the nicest flamed Maple neck I've ever owned and it's on an Affinity series bass. I changed the tuners and it's a very nice bass. Plays like a dream.

GLWTS

flame.jpg

headstockF.jpg

tuner3.jpg

14. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Nice bass.
    The elusive staggered red silks!
    Stock 90's early 2000's Squier factory strings.

15. Low Main

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the added neck and strings details. Always good to have more info.

16. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Sure well I had recently started a thread on red silk strings with staggered tuner side trying to identify them. I had thought they were maybe stock fender factory installs from the 90's through early 2000's so your headstock pic and description peaked my interest.

17. Low Main

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    SOLD Thanks to everyone for checking out this listing.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021