1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1st Post, need quick advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigben55, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Bigben55

Bigben55

Apr 16, 2015
    Hi all, first post here. I've played guitar for 27 years, and just recently acquired my first bass. Its a cheapo, a Squier Affinity P-bass, cost me $65 used. While I cant foresee bass becoming my #1 instrument, I WANT to learn it, get proficient enough to play blues/rock/country bass.

Anyhow, I need a bass amp, a cheap Craigslist special bass amp. Have researched extensively, and it seems for under $150, an older Peavey is most probably what I'm looking at. A bass player friend of mine told me get as many watts as you can, but 100 watts thru a 15" or 2x10" should be the absolute lowest you go for playing with a band, and even thats questionable volume wise. So I found 2 amps, both Peaveys, one a TNT115S from @1995(150 watts, Sheffield 15" speaker) and a Combo 300 from @1985-89(300 watts, Black Widow speaker). So, which one to buy and why? I'll be buying one of them tonight.

I appreciate the whole "save up for a good amp" argument. I play my 3 G&L guitars thru a Dr Z. I totally get that. But here, right now, cheap but usable is what I want. If I take a serious liking to bass, I'll buy a G&L and an Ampeg, I promise:) Thanks!

Short-scale likes this.
  2. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Both pretty decent. Go for the one with the Widow.

G&L, A.O.K.

For my bucks, I'll pass on Peggys :D.

MattZilla, stigbeve and wave rider like this.
  3. Bigben55

Bigben55

Apr 16, 2015
    Is the BW that much better of a speaker? I can get either amp for $125. Whats the better deal/I think they are both good deals but Im no expert

4. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Ummm used both extensively in the 80's. I bought a Flight Case with wheels for the Combo and did large shows with it. Propped it up on top of the flight case behind me and never needed to be in the mix. It was that loud. The Black Widow is the Diesel Mack Truck of the Peavey side. For its day the Combo was quite a beast itself. If taken care of, those old American made Peaveys don't have an expiration date! I have half a dozen Peaveys in my shop and my original mini-combo the Minx from 1986.

Yup, get the Combo. But better get a dolly or a flight case!

If by chance the Combo is sold, you will not be going wrong with the TNT. That would be my second choice. But both good choices!

5. Bigben55

Bigben55

Apr 16, 2015
    It has casters, wont be being moved much, and I'm a big strong guy. Weight don't concern me at all. I just dont want it to suck

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  6. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    No, the Widow is a worse driver. It's really poor. That's why I recommended it. Sheesh :rollno: . Next time just throw darts.

7. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Agreed - get the Combo 300 if you can, but the TNT is fine too. I recently played at an open jam with an ancient TNT 150 - sounded really good.

8. Bigben55

Bigben55

Apr 16, 2015
    I'm sorry if I didn't put enough "1st post, I don't know jack about bass and bass gear" disclaimers up front. I was just relating it to guitar gear, where I know some speakers may be better than others but not markedly better based on the sound one is looking for. I don't have "bass tone trained ears" yet, ain't looking for a particular "sound" but know bad bass tone when I hear it. Thats about all I know right now. So, I will take that as a yes, the BW is way better than the Sheffield for bass in general. Thanks

9. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    No, I clearly said the Sheffield is nice, too, but the BW is better.

10. kd5uwl

kd5uwl

Jun 7, 2012
    Bigben55 just joined today.

Welcome to TalkBass, Bigben55.

11. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Peavey combos of that era are workingman musician specials.
    Not the greatest but good enough for what is needed with plenty of power.
    My suggestion would be the 300 and get yourself a used pedal of some sort to get a better sound out of it.
    Joyo, Sansamp, Hartke Attack, Zoom, Tone Hammer, etc.

12. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    More watts, and the widows have a good rep. I'd take that over the TNT.

Welcome to TB. But leave now unless you want to pour all your cash into gear. :p

13. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Posilutely (he said after ~ $35K :woot: ).

Short-scale likes this.
  14. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Sir, my most humble apologies... I had too much coffee and I'm guilty of not reading the entire post. I will voluntarily walk the plank blindfolded... :blackeye:

15. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Yup. I heard 'im...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  16. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    OMG you said ancient. Ma, get me ma teeth... and cane.. we're going uptown today.. LOL... :laugh:
    I still remember those 80's gigs with my Peavey's like yesterday...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    Joedog likes this.
  17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Get the black widow, this isn't even something that needs to be considered. It will serve you until you start gigging, then you will not want to move it.

alaskaleftybass and shawshank72 like this.
  18. Get the Combo 300, they usually don't go under $200 on CL plus BW are great speakers.

hsech likes this.
  19. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Still got all my teeth for now, sometimes could use a cane though :laugh: I had a Mark IV with a 215 as my main rig in the early 80's.

Even have a pic my brother took from the jam with the TNT 150. It was "Black Widow Equipped". I was impressed with the sound when I did the little solo part on "All Right Now".

MikeJamAkron_zpsl14ggx4u.

Short-scale and alaskaleftybass like this.
  20. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Cool, cool cool! :cool: