1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 4x10s vs 8x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BakerJ, Mar 12, 2010.

1. BakerJ

BakerJ

Jan 7, 2008
    I was wondering if there were any real differences between playing through an 8x10 cab and 2 4x10 cabs (besides being able to mix and match cabs)? It seems like an 8x10 would be a little easier to transport overall (since everything's together), but is there any real sonic difference?

2. I can lift a 410 twice by myself.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    if they're both designed the same, and use the same drivers, the should sound pretty much the same. only the schlep is different, so its whatever you'd rather transport.

4. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    anyone can push a shopping cart.

5. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Are there any 410's that are built like an 810? For example, isin't an Ampeg 810 constructed as 4 sealed 210's? Never owned one, but I think that is what I read here.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the Ampeg 410HE is pretty close to half of their 810E.

7. 810 is easier to cart about I find, easier than 2 4x10 cabs.

Tho, having 2 4x10 cabs means you have a bit more diversity, in that if you are only needing the 410, you only take that.

I'm happy with the 810 tho :p

8. I have two 4x10 cabs. It's nice to be able to have a little bit of modularity, but it does become a bit of a pain in the butt to load in and out.

One 8x10 is usually going to be cheaper than two 4x10s, though. If I had it to do over, I probably would have gone with a single 8x10.

9. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    not up a flight of stairs :bag:

10. True, that's why you drag it up instead of pushing it.

To be fair, 810s really aren't that heavy. Just bulk up a bit!

Or, if you really need a hand, Marshall had a great approach the the VBC810, there's a pop out handle on the underside, somewhere for a someone else to hold on.

Most places I've played have had quite narrow stairways and corridors backstage. Where it is easier to have an 810, you dont need to worry about banging your arms off things.

11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    +1

Better yet - a 4x10 and a 2x10 - - then you have *real* flexablity.

12. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I remember schlepping 2 8x10 Traynor cabs around for a number of years. Couple of hundred shows a year, WHEW! I was younger then, and my back still aches. ;)

13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Typically 410's have more internal cab volume per the four drivers so they could go lower than a single 810. Most, but not all 410 cabs are ported and most 810's are sealed so two 410's would be louder in the low end than a single 810 but the 810 would bump the mids more.

Soundwise it's a matter of preference in tone. As far as hauling them, an 810 can act as it's own dolly and I'd rather wheel a single 810 and be bothered once. I don't own either a 410 or 810 any longer, but I'd go with the 810 for ease and more mid punch. If you need more low end and don't mind the hauling go with two 410's.

14. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    There are several variables. Sealed or not. What do you drive? How old are you? Do you own a hand truck? Sometimes an 810 is actually easier , sometimes they are a real pain. Both always sound great. I vote for both.

15. With Crew, it's the 810 everytime.

If I'm schlepping, it's 410s. Upstairs apartment & I outweigh the 810 by 5 pounds.

16. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I've had both, and it seems counter-intuitive, but the 810 is easier to deal with for me.

The reason is that at some point you always have to lift a 410 off the ground...to get it in or out of your vehicle, to get it on or off the stage, to stack it on your other 410, etc.

With an 810 you roll it to the vehicle, tip it over and slide it in. Same thing with most stages. Stairs are a pain with either one, but I've dragged an 810 up stairs by myself.

The 810 sounds better to my ears too. There's something rather magical about it. A pair of 410's is sho nuff loud, but just doesn't have the presence and punch of an 810 to me.

It's worth pointing out, Ampeg 810's are a different beast than anyone else's. An SVT 810 is 165 pounds. I have a Carvin that's 115. That's a big difference. Most other brands are somewhere between those 2 weights.

I personally would not haul an Ampeg 810 anywhere without roadies and headline status.

:)

17. I don't think that SVT810s are that heavy. According to www.ampeg.com, it weighs 140 pounds. Mesa Powerhouse 810s are upwards of 175, though, and Basson's is 228.

18. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    Both of my 4x10s have a tweeter........My 8x10 does not. I have more options with my 2 4x10s.....The 8x10 is overkill in some venues. This is sorta like comparing apples to grapefruit.

19. I can move an 810 once by myself, and I'm 5'6"

Man up, dude ;-)

Funny, because I get people offering to help me with my 810 all the time. I politely decline and ask them to either hold the door or carry my bass but please just get out of my way. An Ampeg 810 is easier to move than a 410 because there's no bending and stooping.

20. RBASS930

RBASS930 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    If you blow a speaker or two in one of the 410 cabs, you've got the other 410 cab (hopefully) to fall back on at the gig.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020