1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 ATKs and a sentimental dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selios, Jan 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 5787C1B0-A815-4417-B50E-CA13CCB87A49. D3996B40-5FD4-435F-B5FF-85DADEAAE933. Hey everyone,

A few days ago I picked up an Ibanez Premium ATK805. It was a bit of an impulse purchase, admittedly. But I justified it because my main player is an ATK300 4-string which I’ve had for 10 years, played my first gig on, always loved, etc. and I thought having a complimentary ATK 5er with a neck pickup would be pretty sweet.

The 5er is great, I really like the sound of it and after some tweaking of the setup it plays very well. It’s also very flexible in terms of tones. It is able to meet all of my needs (I play with an original band and also occasionally sub for other groups and jam with other local players).

However my 4 string ATK always met my needs as well and has been my main workhorse for as long as I’ve had it (it’s strung BEAD, so I never missed out on 5 string stuff). As much as I like the 5er, I feel guilty for putting the 4-string down before it ever let me down, which it probably never will.

It’s not the end of the world, of course I still reserve the right to take the 4-string to a gig, but even then that would make me feel like I’m not making use of the 5er! Maybe I’m overthinking it.

Anybody ever felt guilty for slighting their favourite bass when it wasn’t completely necessary?

I’m just curious if anyone can relate more than anything. Of course the bottom line is I now have two sweet ATKs that compliment each other nicely, and finally have a proper 5 string to jam with! That is exciting for sure.

And now of course the other reason for this thread, to show you my new bass! Attached pics are my new 5er and a no-stage dive-bar action shot with my workhorse blue ATK.

2. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Variety is the spice of life! I will ditch my EBMM Stingray to take my Warwick Rockbass for a spin. I think you've got a good thing going!

Selios and dabbler like this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    What he ^ said.

IMGP1621.

It's all good.

Selios and Bass Man Dan like this.
  4. Cheers guys, I knew I came to the right place ;)

Very nice sunburst ATK there dabbler, I originally wanted a burst before my blue one “spoke” to me when I tried it out in the store years ago.

5. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    It's wise to have a spare. The guilt I feel is about spending $ on what one could argue is a "want" rather than a "need." But that passes quickly. Enjoy them both.

Selios and lowdownthump like this.
  6. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I fully understand. When an instrument is "right", it's just right, no matter the color. But I do have a thing for bursts... and LPB.

Selios likes this.
  7. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    If this wasn't Talkbass, I would say you found "the one" in your beautiful blue ATK and don't need the 5er....!

But this is Talkbass, so congratulations on your new acquisition! And make sure to join the ATK club here if you haven't already. :thumbsup::cool:

Selios and lowdownthump like this.
  8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Don't worry, there isn't any legal complications with this kind of marriage. It's possible to have two or more partners here. :)

Very very nice and congrats...not only having a 4 and 5 string version, but one has a rosewood neck, the other maple. I think once the honeymoon is over between you and the 5er, you'll find yourself giving your first wife some proper dues and share time. You'll get a feel of which situation and gig is appropriate and ideal for each one. Always good to have a reliable spare too, you can even string one with flats, the other with rounds to get tonal variety on stage.
    Don't worry or feel guilty about keeping both - there's no alimony involved.

Selios likes this.
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

ha! gotta love that thinking! ;)

no. whatever instrument i'm playing at any particular moment is 'my favorite'.

does your former "favorite bass" have a name? :)

10. I love the new ATK 800 series. They have a slightly different sound too.

You could put flats on one and rounds on another to really make them sound different.

Or sell the 805 to me!

Selios and jumbodbassman like this.
  11. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Of course, you could re-string your 4 to EADG (normal tuning) and use it for the songs that don't require a low B string. Then just pick up your new fiver when you need that low string in a song. That you'll feel good about still using your trusty ATK300 most of the time and you're ATK800 will feel special when you pick it up to play songs that need those low B-string notes. Sounds like the way to go for me, but of course I have a 5-string and a 4-string that I use just like that.

Selios likes this.
  12. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    I'm an ATK guy too, an ATK100 was my main bass for a decade. I've had affairs with a couple ATK300 too
    I have good news for you. Basses do not have feelings.
    I've moved on to Vintage Ibanez Musician and Roadstars, but I'll likely have an ATK again in the future.
    I take solace in the fact that the ATK will harbor no ill feelings towards me.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Bass V and Selios like this.
  13. Keep playing both. Having the feel for both a 4 and a 5 is a good thing.

Selios likes this.
  14. BrentD

BrentD

Jun 7, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    ^Found the guy whose wife doesn't know how many basses he has! :D

Selios likes this.
  15. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I have 5 bases, bring 2 to every gig. Usually switch up between sets.

Selios likes this.
  16. There is a somewhat significant difference in sound between them, more so than I expected actually! Usually I use the middle position on the pickup coil selector on the 300, but on the 805 so far I'm really into the sound of both pickups with the selector toward the bridge.

17. Also thanks for everybody's input! I'm enjoying the 805 very much and I gave both basses some good play time after work today. ATKs are where it's at for me!

18. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    Torn between two ATK... wait until a 3rd catches your eye. Oh no. Right now it’s just one model. Then you’ll find another kind of ibanez. Then another brand entirely. It doesn’t end.