1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 cabs, 1 output

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patlozrox, Aug 1, 2012.

1. patlozrox

patlozrox

Apr 10, 2012
    Munster, Indiana
    Losiniecki LED Customs (My own company)
    So I am getting a great deal on two cabs if I trade in my 1x8. I am getting a 2x10 and a 1x18 for 300 bucks if I trade in. Only one problem. My head only has one output. Is it possible to use a headphone splitter with 1/4 plugs, or would that cause any type of problems. Thanks for your help everyone.

2. MarcMurder

MarcMurder #IIAmerica

Mar 9, 2010
    El Paso, Texas
    i think you can daisy chain the cabs

3. patlozrox

patlozrox

Apr 10, 2012
    Munster, Indiana
    Okay, I'm gonna be a total noob right now. Don't judge me. What does that mean?

4. MarcMurder

MarcMurder #IIAmerica

Mar 9, 2010
    El Paso, Texas
    connect head to cab #1 then cab #1 to cab #2
    but it would help if we knew what cabs and head you have so we can give a definite answer

5. patlozrox

patlozrox

Apr 10, 2012
    Munster, Indiana
    Okay well I don't remember the models of the cabs but I have a basic 100 watt acoustic head. I think the 1x18 is a peavey.

6. MarcMurder

MarcMurder #IIAmerica

Mar 9, 2010
    El Paso, Texas
    as long as your cabs are 8 ohms and your head can hot 4 ohms then you should be fine

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Is your amp the 260 model? It's minimum 4 ohms.

You can daisy chain (connect one cab to the head, then one cab to the other-if the cab has two input jacks) 2 speaker cabs if each cab is 8 ohms. Then you'll have 4 ohms which the will like and work fine.

IMO, the 1x18 will be too muddy to gig with. I suggest looking for a better deal. Maybe a 4ohm 2x15 or a couple of 2x10s (stack them vertically).

8. patlozrox

patlozrox

Apr 10, 2012
    Munster, Indiana
    Okay thanks I played the stack earlier today. It sounded great, but if you think it'll be muddy, then I'll keep looking.

9. Yes they make them, guitar center carries them if you need one locally and quick otherwise like most things I'm sure you can get a better price looking online.

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    If you keep control of the eq. and don't use too much bass, it may be fine.

18's don't get much love on TB. I'd rather see you get a 4 ohm, 2x15. Maybe a Peavey with Black Widow speakers. You'll move a lot of air with 100 watts and a clean eq. setting.

Use searchtempest.com to search Craigslist in your region. Might be some good deals out there right now. When you find something, run it by TB again.

Good luck.

11. This would be a bad idea. Instead, splice two speaker cables where one end has one 1'4" plug and the other end has two 1/4" plugs. The wires has to be 12-14 AWG (gauge).

12. patlozrox

patlozrox

Apr 10, 2012
    Munster, Indiana
    Thanks all of you guys these tips really helped. I'll be back at the shop on Saturday. I'll see if I can talk him down more and what I can do for my one output problem. If I need I can turn down the bass. And my mixer is pretty good so I can adjust the settings to make it sound better.

13. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    A fellow 2x15 lover :)

Yes, the 2x15 is not to be trifled with...they can do some serious damage if you treat them right. The black widows are nice, and there are plenty of great 15" speakers if you decide to upgrade later. With a 100w head though, those black widows should be more than enough.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL!