2 Different Looking Big Muff Pi's

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RevengeGoose, Dec 28, 2007.

1. RevengeGoose

RevengeGoose

Oct 21, 2007
    I was perusing MF and i noticed there are two different big muff pi's (3 if you count the micro one) that are the exact same in controls but have a different price and chassis

links are here

One that I have never seen:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...-Muff-Pi-DistortionSustainer-Pedal?sku=153300

Standard USA Big Muff Pi:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...-Muff-Pi-DistortionSustainer-Pedal?sku=153314

also how do you guys cope with the lowend that the big muff extracts from your tone?

I'm sure this has all been answered before, but there are so many posts on the muff's i dont know where to start

2. the russian big muff (the one that you've never seen before) doesn't suck the low end as long as you keep the tone knob below 9 o'clock really because its made from different parts

www.soundclick.com/amanandhisbass <--- click on the fuzz solo notice how my russian big muff doesn't suck the low end at all and it was only like $50 bucks

3. Limlam

Limlam

Jun 9, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    one russian made (the black one) ones american made ( the silver one)

4. RevengeGoose

RevengeGoose

Oct 21, 2007
    which would u prefer?

or can u define the pros and cons of them
    other than the price tag?

5. ricknote

ricknote

Aug 3, 2006
    Nashville
    I took them both home and walked away with the Russian Pedal.
    They're both great Fuzz pedals for bass. The Russian had a little
    more punchy bottom end then the smoother Amerian model.
    That's what I was looking for.
    I have since paired it up with the Radial Big Shot Mix blender
    pedal w/true bypass. This gives me some clean signal along
    with the Fuzz. Nice.

Try them both if you can, and take your bass with you to the
    store.

All the best,
    Rick

6. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    You really have to consider the Little Big Muff in this too. It is the same as the American reissue but has true bypass and lets through more low end. Also, there is a decent market of Big Muff copies with better bass response.

One thing to consider is power supply: the Russian only takes battery, whereas the USA Reissue takes battery or 1/8" power and the LBM takes regular Boss style power adaptor.

If you like Cliff Burton, go for the Russian, if you like Tony Levin go for the USA Reissue.

7. the thing about the russian taking only battery thought ive had the thing for ages and it takes FOREVER to go through a battery

8. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    i have recently been given an old usa big muff, its great but i always use it with an eq pedal to boost the bass on it, i also much prefer it with the tone cranked a lot. without the eq pedal i wouldnt use the big muff at all

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021